Dr. Hinson
Dr. Hinson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  11+ years experience in the veterinary field. Experience with small, large and exotic species.
10679819

My 9 month old beagle/boxer mix has red bumps on his belly.

My 9 month old beagle/boxer mix has red bumps on his belly. He also has crusty skin bumps (they are about the size of a tick and looks like it until you get closer) that are tan/white in color all over the fur covered lower part of his body (legs,chest) Around the skin bumps, his hair tends to fall out in small clumps about 10 follicles of hair. I have him on K9 Advantix for fleas.
Does anyone have an idea what this could be?
Welcome to Just Answer! I'm Dr. Hinson and I'd like to help you with your question.

Sounds like a Staph infection. There are many reasons why they can get this. Likely not flea related. He will probably need some antibiotics (oral) to clear it up so you should take him to your vet.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions!

Dr. Hinson
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your response. Would the bumps itch if it was a staph infection? He has been pretty itchy this past week.

Jennifer McNulty

Some dogs are very itchy with a Staph infection and some are not at all. It depends on the dog and it depends on what caused the infection, which we almost never figure out...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I took my Beagle/boxer to the vet today. It was indeed a staph infection. Got some Cephalexin and Prednesone for the places on his undersides. The bleeding spot was caused by his scratching according to the vet. Again, thank you so much for your help. I was so worried about my little dog.
Thanks for the update! I'm glad I could help!

Take care!