Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

my dog has diluted urine, 1001, but none of the symptoms of

my dog has diluted urine, 1001, but none of the symptoms of diabetes insipidus. He is 12 years old and in great health. He does not drink excessively and pees normally. No accidents in the house ever. 2 long walks per day and play with our two other dogs. The vet wants to do more testing and put him on hormones. I do not want to medicated my dog for something he does not have. Yes he has diluted urine but none of the symptoms. What could it be. Read on one website that "normal can be from 1001-1075? What can we do? He is a mixed,neutered aussie/border collie mix. 55lbs. Up until a 1.5 year ago he ran with me 30-40 m. 3 times / week. I got injured so no running for a while. The only difference in his behavior is that he is a little slower than a couple of years ago. But he is a senior now. He is still alert and play full. A wonderful dog
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

I would love to help I just have a few additional questions. After your reply please allow a few minutes for me to type your answer.

Where there any abnormalities at all in the blood work? If so can you tell me what they were?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
one level on the blood work was high. Do not know which one. The vet wants to do another blood test in 2-3 weeks.
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Without knowing what was elevated it would be hard to know what your vet wants to do additional testing for.

I would suspect he may want to re check the kidney levels as often the first sign of kidney disease is a low specific gravity in the urine. Dogs with kidney disease normally have a SpG of about 1.008 to 1.012. Generally, a normal dog's urine SpG will be 1.020 to 1.040.

Here is some additional information

Of course if he happened to drink large amounts that can dilute the urine as well. I would try not to worry to much however I do think you should allow your vet to run some additional testing and ask then about the kidney values on the blood work. I agree I would wait until the next test as I am not sure what he wants to treat with the hormones so I really can not advice on that.

I hope this helps, please reply back if you have additional questions

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i can find out tomorrow whst was elevated in the blood work. Can we still keep this question/answer session open until tomorrow? hormones are the DDAVPH. I believe.To consentartae the urine. But if my dog has diabetes insipidus he should have other symptoms not only a low SpG. Right?
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Yes he should have other symptoms if he had diabetes such as increased thirst and urination and in some cases disorientation, lack of coordination.

Without any major symptoms I would want to look at the kidneys. Often we do not see elevations in the blood work until 75% of all kidney function is gone and the SPG may show signs first.

Yes we can keep this open until tomorrow let me know what blood work was done and the results.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The blood test that was done is called "super chem". It was the Alk Phosphatase value that was high.
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Thank you

If the ALKP was the only elevation I would ask your vet about testing for Cushings Disease. This normally has symptoms as well however some dogs show no obvious signs with this disease Elevated ALKP with no elevations is really an indicator that Cushings may be the problem.

Here is more on this