Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

My elderly dog is panting a lot and somehow hurt her leg and

Customer Question

My elderly dog is panting a lot and somehow hurt her leg and doesn't want to get up. She will eat if I hand feed her and she is drinking from her bowl. When we try to get her up she just lays down. She is also licking her leg. Don't know what to it time?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 years ago.

Hello nd welcome to Just Answer. I am sorry your pup is not feeling well. What breed of dod do you have? Which leg is it that is bothering her? Is acting like she is off balance and that's why she may not want to stand? If you touch her foot/paw and bend it under does she notice and try to straighten them out?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She is a Brittney Her right front. She won't stand on her own and when my son and I try to stand her she lies down. She is licking that leg. Slight crying like in pain but just slight
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for that information. There could be a couple of things you would look at. Possible elbow dysplasia, lyme disease, a disc problem in the neck, could all cause pain. It is hurting her enough that she won't stand on it and dogs don't necessarily vocalize pain as much as humans do. I would bring her to your vet in the am and have her looked at. I don't think it is her time, if by that you mean euthanasia unless you are aware of some problem that would make you think that. I would keep her well rested until you can see the vet. If there is swelling or warmth coming from any area on the leg then don't hesitate to seek vet help immediately.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
should I give her acepronazine to let her get a good sleep?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 years ago.
since you have given tramadol I would not give her anything else at this time. You can try applying a bit of cold compress on the leg and then warm compresses and see if that helps with the pain.