Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dogs heart is beating very hard and the nerves in her head

Customer Question

My dogs heart is beating very hard and the nerves in her head is jumping,she doesn't want to walk much just laying there.could she be dying
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

I would love to help I just have a few additional questions. After your reply please allow a few minutes for me to type your answer.

What medication is she on?

When did you take her to the vet?

Was she doing this when you took her to the vet?

What color are her gums?

Have you applied any flea prevention today?

Can you count her heart beat and tell me how many time it beats in 10 seconds?

Any chance she got into anything toxic?

what breed is she?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
CEPHALEXIN,TODAY AT 2PM,NO,PINK,NO,2PER SEC,NO,PIT BULL...SHE'S JUMPING REAL BAD,HER NERVES
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Ok the heart rate itself is at an acceptable beat per minute.

What was she seen at the vets for?

Is she spayed?

Any information you can give would help

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
SHE WAS TRYIN TO TAKE A BOWEL MOVEMENT ONLY MUCOUS N BLOODWAS COMING OUT,SHE JUST HAD BABIESA MONTH AGO WE HAD TO STOP NURSING BECAUSE SHE WOULD BITE THE PUPPIES,SO HER CITIES WERE SWOLLEN TOOK TO THE VET,DR SAID IT WAS AN INFECTION FROM NOT NURSING MILK BUILD UP,GAVE US CEPHALEXCIN FOR TWICE A DAY N SAID TO APPLY HEAT TO CITIES,NOTICED LATER TAPEWORMS N BOWEL GAVE HER TAPEWORMS PILL,NOWHERE NERVES ARE JUMPING,A LOT SHE'S LAYING THERE NOT DOING ANYTHING,SHEWILL DRINK WATER BUT THROWSIT UP RIGHT AFTER
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

If her pups were just taken today then it is very possible that she is having a drop in blood calcium levels this happens more in small dogs but does happen in all breeds and can be fatal very quickly.

Here is more on this

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/reproductive/c_dg_eclampsia

If this is the problem and she is not seen right away she may not make it through the night. If you have tums or calcium supplements please give her 2-3 and get her to the vet immediately.

This could also be seizures from infection in the body.

This is an emergency and she needs to be seen right away either of the above mentioned problems can not wait until tomorrow.

If you need help locating a local animal emergency please give me your zip code

Candy

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
77566
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Ok your closest one is 38 miles away so you will need to go now give calcium first or while on the way get tums and give 3-4

Animal Emerency Clinic Southeast-Calder Rd 1100 Gulf Frwy S, Suite 104
League City, TX 77573
800-356-3692

Southwest Freeway Animal Hospital & Emergency Cent 15575 Southwest Freeway
Sugar Land, TX 77479
281-491-8387

Animal Care Clinic-Dickinson 3458 Gulf Fwy
Dickinson, TX 77539
281-337-3635

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The page u sent me is exactly what going on...I believe she is having seizures by her body movements,its really far from where I live,do u think there's a faster way to help like givingher calcium and ways to make it better or is it a must that I should try to go
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Oh no it is a must you have to go I can not tell you how many owners loose their dogs on the way to the hospital. I know it is far but she will need more calcium then you can give and she will likely vomit up anything you try to feed her.Thye will have to give calcium by injection

There really is only a short time with this especially once the seizures start , her body temp is also likely very high do not get her wet put her in the car with a damp towel across her back and stomach. Give calcium supplements or tums on the way and give 3-5 of them you may have to chew them up and then put in her mouth.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok thank you so much I brought her to the one in Houston,there seeing her now..I really appreciate your help,you were more helpful than our home vet..thanks again,hope all comes out well
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.
I am so glad she made it to the hospital. Please let me know how she is doing today.