Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I have recently found 1 tick on my dog and 5 ticks in my bedroom,

I have recently found 1 tick on my dog and 5 ticks in my bedroom, one was engorged and still alive. I did not see any visible eggs. I have used Hartz flea and tick powder on the carpet and zodiac premise flea spray. How do I know for sure the tick laid the eggs and how long will i have to keep spraying? My dog is protected with K9 Advantix and my cat is protected with revolution.I'm very afraid that this might be a problem I can't fix in my house.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jacustomer-iis76h17~

How often do you apply the Advantix?

Why do you think the ticks are laying eggs?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had applied the advantix in november and december, a short break and then again on may 9th.

I imagined the tick laid the eggs because the other three ticks I had found in my bedroom were very small.
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 years ago.

The problem then is that you took a break.

Ticks are in the environment from the time the snow melts until it falls again, and taking a break from January until May means that your dog spent a good portion of the spring with no tick repellent on...that is why she had ticks on her.

To keep your dog tick-free, you need to keep up with the tick protection.

As for the tick eggs that you're seeing...it's more likely that you're seeing little seed ticks (immature ticks) rather than eggs. Ticks don't generally lay eggs on dogs, they prefer to crawl off to a secret spot where they can lay their eggs without worrying that a predator is going to eat them.

Now that you're using the Advantix again, that will take care of the ticks on your dog, and will likely keep her from bringing them into your house. I'd go ahead and use the carpet powder another time or two, but it's unlikely that the ticks laid eggs in your home.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you - just to be clear - the presence of several seed ticks does not mean that at some point eggs were laid and they had hatched - the ticks could have been in my house for weeks without me noticing?

Is it common practice for ticks to lay eggs where they rest? Or is it possible the tick laid eggs behind the baseboards and I've a few thousand more ticks to welcome in the near future?

Sorry, I just don't know too much about them and want to know what I'm in for.
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 years ago.

No...it's more likely that your dog walked through a patch of immature ticks while outside and then brought them in on the fur. If you'd had tick eggs in your house...you'd have several THOUSAND, not a handful of little ticks...not likely something you'd just miss.

It's common practice for engorged female ticks to crawl off and lay eggs in a secluded place..under logs, in the litter of leaves on the floor of the woods, places like that.

I live in northern MN and we have ticks everywhere...including in the city...and I've never, ever heard of anyone having tick eggs in their houses. It's just not a good climate for ticks to live in. It's too warm. It's too humid. Outside is generally better for them.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One more thing - The engorged female was at the baseboard wedged between a rug. Is it possible that the eggs were just laid and I haven't seen them yet? Also is it possible for a female tick to be engorged without laying eggs?

I'm in a suburb of Toronto in Canada - I've lived here for over a year and I've never had problems with ticks before. You can imagine my concern if I'm about to have several thousand ticks in my house :)
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 years ago.

No, if she was engorged in your bedroom, it's likely that she had just fallen off your dog and was just working her way towards the outside.

Canada! I can almost walk there from here!!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's a huge relief, thank you. Considering that the tick has bitten my dog and become engorged, does that mean the Advantix didn't work, considering it is supposed to have an immediate effect? Or would the tick become engorged and then die? Should my dog be on Advantix still?
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 years ago.
Even though it says 'immediate' effect, it actually takes about 24 hours or so...and if it were my dog, I'd have her on Advantix all the time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But the Advantix was applied on May 9th? And due for reapply on June 9th
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 years ago.
It may have worn off a bit before the expiration time. Up here, we actually tell our people to apply their topicals once every 3 weeks, instead of 4. If you have a lot of ticks in your area, you may want to talk to your vet about using the product more often.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there a chance that he could get sick then? If so, I can speak with my vet tomorrow.
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 years ago.
I'd give your vet a call tomorrow..just to be on the safe side.
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks so much for your help. I'm still a little skeeved and will sleep on the couch tonight, but I feel much better than before.