Dr. Brian
Dr. Brian, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  34 years in private practice, 2008 WA State Vet of the Year
13977145

I have been treating a chronic ear infection in my Schnauzer

I have been treating a chronic ear infection in my Schnauzer due to fungus and yeast. The last two days she seems lethargic and thirsty more that usual. I thought she might have fever, but her temp is 100.5 F taken rectally. Could I have possibly pierced her eardrum? Going to our vet in the AM to have her ears checked out and look for the cause of her lethargy. Also she is on prednisone 5mg po every other day at this point and I am treating topically both ears with otosooth ointment daily.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Brian replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Brian :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. I am a licensed veterinarian and will do my best to help you.

Dr. Brian :

How long has your dog had ear problems? Does she have a head tilt? Is the ear infection constant or does it onlyh occur dertain times of the year?

Customer:

She has struggled with ear inflammation her whole life. The inside of her ears smell and the skin looks black a pebbley. I was told it is yeast and fungus. And that she has chronic allergy problems through her ear. She rubs her ears from time to time with her paws. I am currently giving her prednisone 5mg po every other day and apply topically OtoSooth daily. Her ears are looking a lot better, but now she seems lethargic and tired. I checked her temp and it is 101.5 rectally.

Dr. Brian :

Do you clean the ears with q-tips?

Dr. Brian :

Have you ever done a hypo-alleergenci food trial with her?

Dr. Brian :

that should be hypo-allergenic food trial

Customer:

I have been using Q-tips very carefully to remove old ointment before putting in the new. I have not done a hypo-allergenic food trial with her. She has bladders stones pretty regularly so she gets distilled water and Hills Science Diet Can Food-SD right now. How to I begin a hypo-allergenic food trial?

Dr. Brian :

The Otosoothe is a good product to cover both bacteria and yeast (a fungi). Like most ear products it too has a steroid. That when combined with the prednisolone can increase her thirst. However, there are several other disorders that can increase her thirst. They include diabetes, bladder infections, liver and kidney disease and hormonal abnormalities. If the increased thirst persists be sure to have your vet check this out. Here is more reading on ear infections before I get into the diet and stone issues: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/otitis-externa-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Dr. Brian :

Most bladder stones in females are a result of bladder infections, but some are not. I would not do a hypo-allergenic food trial unless they were struvite or calcium phosphate stones. If they are this type of stone you can do the food trial provided that you feed a high water content diet- either canned, or dry where 1 cup of kibble is mixed with 3 cups of water and allowed to soak up all the moisture. I question the need for the distilled water. For food trials I use Royal Canin duck and potato exclusively for 2 months- no other foods, no treats, no flavored medications, no rawhide, pig ears or hooves and no flavored toothpastes. Just the food and water.http://www.petplace.com/dogs/food-allergy-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Customer:

I have had lab work done in the past when she was drinking excessivly because I suspected diabetes, but that didn't prove to be true. She has had 3 bladder surgeries in 2 1/2 years due to the stones. The first stones were jagged and looked like starfish. Made her bleed a lot. The next two surgeries revealed much larger, but much smoother stones, like river rocks. My vet switched her from Science Diet DC cereal food to the Can food labeled SD. None of her stones have been tested.

Dr. Brian :

Probably the stones I suspected. http://www.petplace.com/dogs/urolithiasis-in-dogs/page1.aspx. Getting rid of the bladder infection frequently solves the problem. Unfortunately dogs on pred. have a reduced ability to fight infection and are prone to bladder infections. A good idea would be to have her urine tested periodically for a bladder infection. The S/D diet is designed to dissolve these stones provided the dog is on antibitics, the C/D is meant for maintenance if needed.

Dr. Brian :

Since you are seeing you vet in the morning, talk about a food trial, discuss a urinalysis to check for bladder infections and whether a high water content diet could replace the special food.

Dr. Brian :

I'm being called to dinner so have to go. If you have additional questions please post them and I will check back in a bit.

Customer:

Yes I will have my list of questions ready this time. Thank you for your help.