Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My Dog is acting very strange. He is very nervous, panting

My Dog is acting very strange. He is very nervous, panting , shaking and will not settle down. He has been having these "episodes" for the past 6 weeks or so - unfortunately its always on the weekend and our Vet is not open. I don't know what is going on with him or how to help him. I'm really worried now because its been two days and his behavior has not returned to 'normal' yet. What is going on with him and what should I do for him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

What breed of dog is he?

When he's having an episode, does he seem dazed?

How long does it last?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is a pekinese/ shitzu mix. He doesn't seem dazed at all....seems more like he's on steroids or something....his ears are constantly twitching, he constantly searches for a small dark place (but when he finds one will only sit in it for a second or two).

Generally these episodes last one day (24 hrs or so). The first time it happend we thought he was having an allergic reaction to a flea and tick treatment (advantix), so the vet suggested giving him some childrens Benydryl. With that said, whenever he has an episode, I give him 1 tsp of benydryl. It doesn't solve the problem, but helps him to "come down a notch".

Expert:  Lisa replied 3 years ago.

Can you figure out when these episodes happen most frequently (like during the weekend, or when certain people come visit)?

Is there any possibility he's ingesting something unusual during these times?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its usually on the weekends (a sat or sun). I can't think of anything out of the ordinary that we are doing. The times that we DID do something outside of our normal routine, he didn't have an episode (ie - we had a relative visit over mothers day - he was fine. Also, I took him with me last weekend to house sit a friends house and he was fine in the new environment).

As far as ingesting anything....The only thing I can think of is that he likes to raid the kitty litter box. Its a constant battle with him - ever since we got him 5yrs ago. So, that's not really unusual - Unhealthy- but not unusual.

Expert:  Lisa replied 3 years ago.

Mine eats out of the litter box too...I refer to it as his 'snack box'...gross.

Without being able to pinpoint a cause, it's pretty much impossible to know what is going on with your little dog, although it does sound like some anxiety...of course, he's not going to tell us what is making him anxious, so perhaps the best thing to do is to talk to your vet about possibly putting him on a low dose sedative that you can give when he starts having one of these episodes.

Hopefully they'll take the edge off enough to get him to calm down sooner...however, if these episodes increase in frequency, then you should talk to your vet about a referral to a veterinary neurologist..just in case this is something organic in his brain, rather than just generalized anxiety.

Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification