Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My brothers dog has been diagnosed with limbic epilepsy.

My brother's dog has been diagnosed with limbic epilepsy. He says the dog has been vomiting for 10 days. He was told the vomiting is a siezure. The dog is a mix of Yorkie and some other terrier. Can you tell me if this is curable?
Hello.

If this dog has not had a neuro consult with a veterinary neurologist then I would do that before calling this Limbic Epilepsy. This is a tough call to make and we have to rule out all other causes of vomiting. This means running blood work, shooting x-rays and probably even getting biopsy samples of the intestines to rule out IBD (inflammatory bowel disease) and other GI diseases/ cancers.

The treatment is not curative, but instead it's manageable. We treat like any other epilepsy. Start with Phenobarbital, and then add Potassium Bromide (KBr), Zonisamide or Keppra as needed. I would give Phenobarb 2-4 weeks. If no improvement, then I would add Keppra or Zonisamide. Phenobarb takes 2-3 weeks to reach therapeutic levels in the blood. Keppra and Zonisamide only take 2 days so they are nice to add if we need extra anti-seizure activity.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.