How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Andy Your Own Question
Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 30034
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Andy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog is 67 days pregnant. Our dates are very accurate I wrote

This answer was rated:

My dog is 67 days pregnant. Our dates are very accurate I wrote down the very first time they mated and there was almost 2 weeks between the first and second tie. She has had adequate vet care and utrasound showed the pups are in fact the size they need to be to calculate from the first tie. The thing is, she just seen the vet 2 days ago(fri), they checked her cervix and she had a little dilation. Pups are still moving and her milk has been in for over a week. She has also been losing a mucous which the vet is aware of. She is very uncomfortable and miserable. How long do we wait before we consider a c-section, as my vet has not even mentioned this option. Is there any natural remedies to help jump start her labor, besides oxytocin(again this option was never mentioned by the vet either). I will be calling the vet first thing in the morning(mon). I have been taking her temp on a regular for 2 weeks, it was normal dropped and dropped and then came back up, no pups. If there is anything you can suggest it would be of great help. Thanks.
Hello,
Well, about 68 days is the maximum I would wait anyway.
An injection of oxytocin can be given to stimulate contractions. I think you should consider getting into a vet, today!

She is certainly full term, and I would not want you to risk losing the litter for any delays.

A c-section, already, would be a reasonable option, if the oxytocin is unsuccessful at initiating labor.

Good Luck
Dr. Andy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns please contact your primary veterinarian, or contact an ER facility if this is an emergency. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She seen the vet two days ago and he said he felt she would go into labor at anytime. I just want to make sure my dog and the babies are all ok. This is her first litter and though I am not an experienced breeder. I am a very concerned mom. I had done a lot of research on this. We are new to this area and she is seeing a new vet and I am wondering if I just might need to take her somewhere else since he doesn't seemed concerned that she has not gone into labor. I almost feel like they think i am over reacting by taking her in so much.
Okay.
#1 Do not care what they think. They are being paid to offer you a service to ensure the well-being of your pets.

The only mistake you can make is delaying and not taking action soon enough. Also, if the vet didn't take an x-ray 2 days ago, that is not ideal!

It would be wise to know how many fetuses are inside of her, and to find out if there is any positioning or size of the fetuses that could cause dystocia (difficulty giving birth).

I would get another opinion if I were you.
Best answer I can provide.
Dr. Andy

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns please contact your primary veterinarian, or contact an ER facility if this is an emergency. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion.
Dr. Andy and 3 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions