Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Female dog has blood in urine she has been out of heat for

Female dog has blood in urine she has been out of heat for two weeks it does not have any oder and no loss of appetite she does seem to be some what depressed
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Blood in the urine can be caused by multiple issues - infection, bladder stones, bladder cancer or benign polyps. It is important to have a few tests done in any dog who is showing blood in the urine - a urinalysis, and x-ray of the bladder or ultrasound of the bladder, are the usual starting points. A urine culture may be performed if infection is suspected. Antibiotics are usually effective for most urinary tract infections, but some infections are resistant to the common antibiotics, and that's why a urine culture is a valuable test in this situation.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Could it be yeast infection
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
Yeast is unlikely to cause infections resulting in blood in the urine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
What antibiotics like amoxicilian
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jacustomer-rgduchcm~

The type of antibiotic to use would depend on the type of infection she might have going on. Often, a vet will use something in the 'cillin' family, but they may also choose to use a different antibiotic.

Another concern that I have is that this is a 9 year old, unspayed female who is recently out of heat and has bloody urine and is a bit lethargic. Because of these symptoms my biggest concern is that she's possible got a pyometra going on.

The term 'pyometra' means pus in the uterus. This pus formation in the uterus results from infection, hormone imbalance or mucous buildup inside the uterus. Most dogs and cats suffering from pyometra are presented because of loss of energy, bloody vaginal discharge, increased thirst and poor appetite, but not all the signs show up in all the dogs.

Pyometras can be either open (where the cervix is open and there is drainage) or closed (cervix is closed, no drainage, and dog is very sick). From the sounds of it, your girl could possibly have an open pyometra.

My suggestion is to get your girl to an emergency vet as soon as you can. If she does, in fact, have a pyometra and it is left untreated, it could very well rupture and kill her.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will not be able to get her to vet until Monday I have antibiotics is there any thing I can do in the meantime I m keeping it clean and it seems to be draining. You mentioned open or closed is better if it is draining
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.
Open is better by a slight margin, but both of them are equally bad. If you'd like to give me your zip code, I can see if I can find you an emergency vet to take her to tonight. Of course, if there's not one around you, and you have to wait until tomorrow, then you have to...however, if this were my dog, I'd want her to be seen sooner rather than later.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK should I give her amoxicilin would this help
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.

Legally, no one out here can tell you to give a dog medication. It's illegal to prescribe or dispense without a real life, in person relationship. To do so would be to jeopardize our certifications, licenses or jobs.

I can tell you that Amoxicillin is sometimes used (as is Baytril or other medications) to treat a pyo..however, antibiotics alone are NOT usually enough to fix the problem. Surgical intervention is the ideal cure.

Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks she just ate some food that is encouraging
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.
Even if she eats, I'd still make sure she sees a vet tomorrow at the very latest. I know you love your dog very much and want to do what's best for her. Having a vet take a peek is the absolute best thing you can do for her.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks you were correct and will be having surgery today
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.
I am SOOOOOO happy to hear that she's having surgery to correct her pyometra. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a full recovery!!