Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Hi, How efficient is piperazine citrate for deworming of 3.5

How efficient is piperazine citrate for deworming of 3.5 weeks old puppies? Is it a good dewormer?

Best regards,
Prateek Yadav

Hi Prateek Yadav,

Puppies under 6 weeks of age shouldn't be treated with piperazine citrate. You can read about this active ingredient found in dewormers here:

i would recommend using Pyrantel Pamoate. You can read about this here:

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Jane,
My vet recommended that wormer to give to my puppies. Fortunately I inquired about it here.
The active ingredient in the wormer that you have suggested is - "Each mL contains: 4.54 mg Pyrantel (base) as Pyrantel Pamoate 2.27mg Pyrantel (base) as Pyrantel Pamoate" [I copied this straight from the link- i was getting confused with actual name and quantity of the drug - pyrantel OR pyrantel pamoate] .... so plz tell me that and I'll ask my vet to prescribe me that.
The puppies weigh about 600 grams... how many mg's of the drug is to be given to them??
Other than that, my vet gave drontal plus for the mother. Is that fine?

Best regards,

Drontel plus is a great dewormer for adult dogs. You can read about this here:

Pyrantel pamoate is the active ingredient in many over the counter dewormers so you do not need a prescription to obtain this for the puppies. The amount to give each pup will be based on weight and will be on the package. Different formulas have different amounts of the active ingredient per ml so you need to follow the directions on the packaging.. .

Here in the United States it is freely available in pet stores and even grocery stores and feed stores. It is also available online as well.

Since your vet gave you the other dewormer, I'd call him up and let him know what it states on the website for the dewormer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got "Pyrantel Pamoate Oral Suspension IP" from the medical store today. But unfortunately, the one which I have got is of humans. They did not have this formula for puppies. I am very sure that in my country, we wouldn't be having this formula specifically for puppies. (I searched it on google)
The one which I have got says - EACH 5ML CONTAINS: PYRANTEL PAMOATE IP EQUIVALENT TO PYRANTEL 250MG. That is the only ingredient in this formula.
Can this be given to the puppies? If yes, how many MLs? My puppies weigh 650 grams.
Best regards,

Based on that information, each ml contains 50mg of pyrantel. The dosage for puppies on the following site states:

"Pyrantel pamoate is usually dosed in dogs and in cats at 2.5 to 5 mg per pound (5 to 10 mg/kg) once, repeated in three weeks"

I believe 650 grams is about 1.5 pounds or 0.65 kg. So the dosage would be 3.75mg to 7.5mg for 650gram puppy. Given that the solution is 50mg per ml, the dosage would be quite small at 1/10 of a ml. This would supply a midrange dosage.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok... I've got a dropper- I'll calculate how many drops in 1 ml and accordingly will give it - I think it's about 8-10 drops in 1 ml.