Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My dog has weak back legs I came on suddenly I went 2 work

My dog has weak back legs I came on suddenly I went 2 work got off and now my babysittin legs are weak and they look like they give out but she acts like no pain and she still tries to walk around
Hi, thanks for your question. Weak hind legs are often the result of a neurologic problem in the spinal cord, such as a bulging disc, causing pinched nerves and spinal cord compression. This is a very serious issue, requiring veterinary attention today, in order to try to prevent permanent paralysis of the hind legs. The longer you delay in seeking veterinary care, the worse the prognosis for a return to normal use of the legs. Some dogs in this situation require spinal surgery, while less severe cases may improve with steroids and muscle relaxants.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if it is spinal cord injury aren't those things pretty expensive? do you know of any organizations that help with things like that in georgia or help wit vet visits
If you act promptly, then medicine may be helpful instead of surgery, and the medicines are very affordable since they are generic. There are no organizations likely to help with spinal surgery, as it typically costs several thousand dollars, far beyond what most organizations are able to help fund. That single surgery could pay for dozens of spays and neuters for other needy dogs and cats.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What is the window off opportunity to get pet 2 vet after noticing the weak back legs.. and I am hoping but usually when dogs have symptoms like that mostly likely is surgery needed and if I don't get surgery will they ask me to put her to sleep
The longer you delay, the worse the chance for improvement. We're talking hours, not days here. Every 12 hour period that passes without treatment, makes it more unlikely that the nerves will heal.

Only you can make the decision to euthanize her, but if you make the decision to have her examined today, so that anti-inflammatory steroids can be started, hopefully euthanasia will not be a consideration.