Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

my dog is bleeding from a hole about 1/8th inch wide near her

my dog is bleeding from a hole about 1/8th inch wide near her retum
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 5 years ago.
Hi there,

Couple of questions:

1. Is the whole to the side of the anus at about 3 or 9 o'clock position?
2. Is there swelling or redness around it?
3. Has your dog been scooting her rear end on the floor or licking there in the past few days?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes to questions 1 and 2. no to question 3

Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 5 years ago.
This sounds like a ruptured anal gland abscess. There are two anal glands, one on either side of the anus, just inside. The glands may in some cases become inflamed and infected which stops the normal flow of the contents out of the glands; the glands then become distended keeping infection inside. At a certain point the abscess becomes large enough and a draining tract develops to the outside, through which the abscess ruptures.

This condition is fairly painful but many dogs don't show signs of pain very well and are able to "hide" it, as you can probably tell from the absence of obvious signs of discomfort. Now that the abscess has ruptured, the infected fluid has largely escaped out of it, but an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory/pain medication should still be given, so I would see your vet tomorrow and have this looked at. There is a small proportion of dogs that have anal gland tumors that may cause an abscess, so it's important to rule this out as well.

Hope this helps; please let me know if you have any other questions!