Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

my nine pound chihuahua ate a ring of raw onion, do I really

my nine pound chihuahua ate a ring of raw onion, do I really need to get her stomach pumped as some pet forums claim? she seems fine and ate it fast and with gusto. will the anemia/toxicity hit her days later?
Your dog is very small, and many toxicities are completely dependent on the size of the pet.

I single higher dose of onion can cause the blood problem known as Heinz body anemia.

So, Yes, I would advise you consult an ER vet. Now, for stomach pumping? Probably not. However, they can initiate other supportive care.

In addition, Yes, the changes can occur days later, so following up testing with a CBC, complete blood count, will likely be advised.

Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns please contact your primary veterinarian, or contact an ER facility if this is an emergency. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the ring of onion was very small (silver dollar size), just wanted to be sure you didn't assume it was a big one. she gulped it down in one swallow. also, it happened within the last hour. i think I will call and will probably induce vomiting myself.

do you still recommend ER?
Tough.
Worth calling anyway.

If I had to guess (ONLY AS A GUESS) I am less worried.

Cats, in general, are more sensitive to the effects of onion toxicity.

But, with such a small dog, I would to make sure I am only advising the safest course of action.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
last question, for the hydrogen peroxide route, do you know how much to administer (to induce vomiting) for her size? I'm not too worried either but like you, want to be safe. thanks so much!
To induce vomiting at home, give 1 teaspoon for every 10 pounds of body weight of 3% hydrogen peroxide. If no vomiting within 15 minutes, the dose can be repeated. It is an irritant to the stomach lining, and that is why it causes vomiting.