Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

my dog is not eating only drinks water a lot and has cold paws

my dog is not eating only drinks water a lot and has cold paws ,mouth ,ears. and his breathing is slow and he is slow to get to get up .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 years ago.

Hi Jacustomer-ty0ljxj7~

How long has he been sick?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Does he ever eat non-food items (socks or toys)?

Could he have gotten into anything unusual?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he has been sick just over a day vomits water and has no diarrhea he does not chew on any thing he did get out about 5 days ago and went to the pound for a few days then we got him and he been ok untill yesterday.
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 years ago.

Is his stomach hard to the touch, or soft?

Has he been eating normally?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
he eats nothing just will keep drinking water.
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 years ago.
Is his stomach hard? Does it seem to bother him when you press on it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it feels normal and it didnt bother him
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for answering my questions.

At first I was concerned that maybe he had an intestinal obstruction from eating something unusual during his little adventure out and his stay at the local doggy jail...but if his stomach is soft and non-painful, then it's unlikely that's the case.

That being said, I think the best course of action would be for him to have a trip to his regular vet. Just because he didn't eat something that is causing an obstruction doesn't mean that he didn't eat something that may have been toxic (poisonous). The fact that he's seemingly so sick and weak makes me very worried that he got into something that could be very dangerous, so having the vet give him a quick check up is the way I'd go if it were my dog. His cold extremities could be due to compromised blood flow, so having the vet check for any underlying illnesses is much better than waiting it out to see what happens.

If they don't find anything to be concerned about, they'll be able to send out medication such as Flagyl, which will get the vomiting to stop.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i can't get him to the vet untill tomorrow as i live out in the country he just looks like he might not make through the night.
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 years ago.
If you give me your zip code, I can see if I can find an emergency vet for you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
4340 qeensland aust
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 years ago.
The only one I could find was the Queensland Veterinary Specialists and their information is here:

Telephone: (07) 3359 0777
Fax: (07) 3359 0722
Email:[email protected]
Address:XXXXX Stafford Heights, Qld 4053

If it turns out that they're too far away, you can still give them a call and they'll be able to direct you to an emergency vet closer to home.