Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Dog pooping red jelly like substance. What could it be?

My dog is pooping this red jelly like substance and looks a bit sad. He also has vomited mucus twice, doesnt eat and has only drank water'. I wanna know what's wrong with him

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 years ago.

This type of stool sounds like a condition we call HGE (hemorrhagic gastroenteritis). Basically it's where there is bleeding of the GI tract and the diarrhea ends up looking like jelly or red water. The cause is often unknown but likely either infectious (bacteria/ viral) or stress induced. Diagnosis is made on rectal exam and then checking a PCV (packed cell volume or red blood cell percentage). In normal dog's it's 35-50%. In dogs with HGE that number is > 60%. Treatment is by rehydrating as they lose a lot of water and electrolytes into the colon. We usually put these dogs on IV fluids and IV antibiotics for 12-24 hours. Most will have a full recovery with aggressive treatment. Without treatment, many will resolve on their own but it can be fatal in severe cases if not treated. I would get this dog seen tonight or with your vet in the morning and get the diagnosis confirmed then treatment started. If he's not vomiting, then oral antibiotics and some SubQ fluids may be all that is needed.