Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog is lethargic and cant seem to move her back legs.

My dog is lethargic and can't seem to move her back legs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 3 years ago.

I am so sorry your little one is having trouble.I would love to help I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

When did this start?

Any chance he got into something toxic?

Any tilt to the head?

Do her eyes look normal?

Any exposure to ticks?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good there you are. She didn't get into anything as far as we know. she's been having problems with her ears.
Expert:  Candy replied 3 years ago.

Can you please answer the other questions so I can give you the best answer possible.

Any tick exposure?

Is her head tilted at all?

Are her eyes normal looking or are they moving back and forth

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I really don't know how to describe what's going on with her. She's a maltese 5 yrs old. She has vomited twice and acts like she can't move her rear. Do I only get one question or can you help me till we figure this out? We took her to an emergency vet, but they wouldn't see her for less than 250$, which I don't have right now. I'm afraid for her.
Expert:  Candy replied 3 years ago.

Ok no you can keep asking questions while we try to figure this out.

Has she been anywhere she could pick up ticks.

Look at her eyes are they normal or are they darting back and forth?

Is her head tilted towards the ear she has been having trouble with

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No ticks, eyes normal, but she is looking back and forth..slowly. She is laying on her side and some poop came out like she couldn't control her bowels either.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She also has been, shivering for a few days, but I just thought it was because of her ears. she hasn't been eating right for about a week.
Expert:  Candy replied 3 years ago.

Ok with what you are telling me it is impossible to narrow down the possibilities.

Only a hands on exam is going to given you answers in this case. I completely understand the financial end of thing.

I just got your additional information and the fact that she has not eaten regularly and the shivering make this even more urgent.

This could be due to Vestibular disease caused by an inner ear infection.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/vestibular-disease-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Tick paralysis

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/paralysis-in-dogs.html

Meningitis or encephalitis, metabolic disorders, diabetes, toxic ingestion of some sort.

If you can not have her seen tonight all you can do is watch her. I would not give any food or water but I would give 1/2 teaspoon of pancake syrup or honey immediately. If she has not eaten she may be having a drop in blood glucose levels which can be very dangerous.

Can you give her the syrup now and also let me know what city and state you live in so I can see if I can locate low cost care for you or any emergency programs in your area. Let me know if the syrup changes anything at all.

Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Giving her the syrup, now. We live in West Virginia, Charleston area. She is reluctant to eat or drink anything now anyway. Probably the inner ear infection is correct, but what about the "paralysis"? Also, she feels kind of cold to me. I'm I correct in trying to keep her warm? We will have to go to the vet..somewhere, first thing in the morning. I really appreciate your answers. We gave her some pedialite, but I think she just vomited it up. She is clamping her mouth shut when we try to give her the syrup, but we're gonna keep trying the pedialite, since we can put it in a dropper. I really would like to know if there are any vets around here who could take payments. That, I could do.
Expert:  Candy replied 3 years ago.

Thank you give me just a few minutes to look for programs in your area.

Please read over the information I sent you on vestibular disease.

Can you take a rectal temperature and let me know what it is?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
With the thermometer I have, I don't know if I trust it, but I had it in for over a minute and it only registered 99. To me, that's low. I'm going to read that info, now. Thank You so much for your help. I am hoping this is not too serious, but I understand the implications. Diva is my Mother's dog and she is frantic. I'm relaying all this info to her. She is holding her in her lap and will take her to bed with her. We don't want to lose her. She had all her shots when she was a puppy, but you never know.
Expert:  Candy replied 3 years ago.

Promise animal league

(NNN) NNN-NNNN

The Mosby Foundation helps pay for vet care

http://www.themosbyfoundation.org/what.html

PACC

http://www.pacconline.org/index.php?category=29

IMOM

http://imom.org/

You can apply for aide through all agencies tonight online

Call you local humane Society they have voucher programs for low cost care.

Apply for care credit tonight if you can get approved they do take this at the ER

http://www.carecredit.com/

Here is a coupon for a free office visit at your local VCA

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer?d=SEA&s=G

Here is their address

VCA Dudley Avenue Animal Hospital

3200 Dudley Ave.

Parkersburg, WV

99 is to low you have to get this temp up. A low temp could be very serious it could indicate a system wide infection among other things.

Is she spayed if not when was her last heat cycle

Expert:  Candy replied 3 years ago.

Please keep me posted on how this girl is doing I am worried about her. You can come back to this thread at any time and all follow up is free so do not be concerned with that.

Normal temps should be 101-102.5

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We're all going to bed now. She's warming up some. She jumped off the couch, but fell down, and kinda rolled around. She hasn't eaten or officially been to the bathroom in about 7 hrs. We're gonna take her to the vet in the morning. I sent a request to the Mosby foundation. The rest of them want an amount up front before they will approve anything. Hopefully, it will just be a few tests and some antibiotics, but we'll see. Thanks again for all your help and the info. I'll keep you posted. I'm trying to be optimistic.
Expert:  Candy replied 3 years ago.

If she is rolling then vestibular is very possible try not to make her walk the rolling can get worse and they can begin to gator roll meaning rolling over and over and they can not stop.

If this is Vestibular then in most cases just some antibiotics and anti nausea medication normally clear it up.

If you do not hear from Mosby in the am make an appoint at vca and give them the coupon then all you will have to pay for is any tests and medications. Some antibiotics you can get at a human pharmacy on the $4 dollar list so ask if they give antibiotics

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Mom has her at the vet right now. She is in critical condition. Heart rate is down. She did respond to the vet, but they only give her 25%. I keep telling Mom that there was no way we could have known it was going to get this bad. We tried to make her comfortable the whole time. Mom is distraught. She went downhill so fast. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for all your help.
Expert:  Candy replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome.. Did they say what was wrong ? Her low temp really had me worried last night.Please tell your mom this is not her fault
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't know exactly how low her temp got last night. She didn't sleep well. Then, before they left she tried to get up but couldn't; she just laid there kind of limp, like she didn't have the energy to move. I don't think they've told her yet what exactly is wrong but I'll let you know. Mom is already blaming herself. I'm just trying to be there for her. It's sad. She really loves that little dog. I hope she will recover. I know, it just doesn't look good. Yeah, when I felt her and thought she felt cooler than normal, that's when I really started worrying. Her heartbeat and respiration were low, too. I just didn't want to bring it to Mom's attention last night, because there was nothing we could do. That emergency clinic here could have helped last night. It's not a very caring way to do business in a health CARE industry. I have a doctor appointment this afternoon. I'll be back after that to let you know how it goes. Thank You so much for being there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The vet gave her atropine and her heart rate is going back up. Bloodwork revealed that liver kidneys and pancreas are affected. Don't really know the prognosis just yet, but feel confident that this vet is doing all she can. I'm leaving for my appointment, just wanted to let you know what's going on. Thanks again, Linda and Lori
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She's holding her own at the vet. Definitely an infection. She's probably gonna be there for a few days. But I'll keep you posted. Thanks!
Expert:  Candy replied 3 years ago.

I am glad to hear she is holding her own.. When that temp dropped last night I mentioned a system wide infection which I was afraid of.

She is in the best place she can be now and I am sure they will do everything they can for her.

Please tell your mom I will keep her little girl in my thoughts and prayers.

I hope to hear good news soon

Candy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Just keeping you posted on Diva. She's on antibiotics and they started her on some heart meds yesterday. Her temp is still low, but they are doing what they can. I'm so angry at that clinic for turning her away that night! I was wondering if you could tell me what you think her chance of coming through this are. I know you can't be sure but, I just wondered if there was some kind of standard at this point. Mom is going to go visit her now, and then again, when she gets off work, then we'll both go tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks
Expert:  Candy replied 3 years ago.
I am glad to hear Diva is still holding her own. If you can find out exactly what the diagnosis is I can give you a better idea on what Diva is facing. That fact that she is holding her own is a good sign.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My mother just called me from the vet. While she was there, Diva had a seizure, and had been having them, after she spoke with them this morning. That poor little baby

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
. I am trying to come up with a way to tell Mom that it might be time to let her go. I can't see letting her suffer. I know, the vet will come up with that suggestion, when the time comes. I'm worried about brain damage and other organ failure. It just progressed so fast. I know she's little, and that can have something to do with it, but she just didn't seem that "sick" until that night. It's so sad. Mom loves her like a child. I love her too. I just wish we knew to do something sooner. Mom just called again and said they don't give her much chance. I'm gonna try to go up there with her before they put her to sleep. I'll write back later.
Expert:  Candy replied 3 years ago.

Oh no please do not blame yourself this sounds like something that came on pretty suddenly I just wish we knew what had caused it to begin with. Then I could tell you what to watch for in the future. Did they say anything about possible pancreatitis causing this? When you have time read through this information

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1580&aid=335

Please keep me posted I will be thinking about all 3 of you.

Candy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They told Mom that it could have been the mite medicine, if she already had an infection. I feel so bad. I'm the one who suggested it. I've treated my cat with it before, and had no problem. They said she must have had a hole or something, in her ear. Mom is coming to get me then we're gonna put her out of her misery. She was such a cute and happy dog. She brought my Mother a lot of joy. Maybe too much. She's not gonna handle this well. I miss her. There is possible brain and heart damage. We had only given her two treatments of that medicine. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for everything. Lori
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We just got back.Picked up Diva in a bag. This is so sad. She went downhill so fast. Just 2 days ago we were playing. I thank you for trying to help. If nothing else, you've helped me. So thanks again. Lori
Expert:  Candy replied 3 years ago.

I am so sorry your mom must be devestated. I only wish there was more I could do.

Here is a great site that may help your mom. Here you can converse with other pet owners and even make a special memorial page for Diva.

www.petloss.com

Please know you did everything you could to help her.

Please tell your mom my thoughts are with her.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks doesn't really say enough, Mom said. You were the only person we could communicate with about her during that night. We are grateful for your compassion and advice. Thanks for all the info. If hope could have saved her, I know she'd still be with us. Thanks for keeping up with me on this thread. Thank You for sharing your gift with us.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Candy replied 3 years ago.

You are very welcome, and I am glad I could atleast be there when no one else was.

Please know that you can come back to this thread at any time in the future even if you just need someone to share the sadness or the memories.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi. We're doing OK, I guess. My sister is talking about getting my Mom a new puppy. I was wondering what you think about pet insurance? We don't want to go through anything like this again. We have another older female basset/beagle who is real good with puppies. I also have a cat (8 yrs). Oh, and btw, some ladies at the church took care of that vet bill, (400$). That really helped. I copied a couple of poems from that petloss site. It helps, I think. I want to thank you again for being so kind. Lori
Expert:  Candy replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much for the update I have been thinking about you and your mom.

Pet insurance is great and I think every owner should have this. It really is nice should injury or illness occur.

Here is a site where you can compare the different company. I like the ASPCA and the Healthy paws

http://www.petinsurancereview.com/reviewStart.asp

I am so glad you were able to find someone to help with the vet bill that was very nice of the church to help your mom.

I think a puppy would be great if you mom is up for it.

I am also glad the pet loss site was helpful, I think it is a pretty amazing site