My dog (a 1 year old Weimaraner 54lbs) ate a corner of a lidoderm patch, should I worry?
Pet's Sex: Female
Pet's Age: <1
nothing, she ate and drank.
Hi, thanks for your question. There is potential for toxicity from eating part of this patch, because it contains large amounts of Lidocaine, which can cause brain and heart problems if ingested. It is likely that seeing a veterinarian, for the purpose of inducing vomiting, is your safest option at this time, to prevent the lidocaine from being absorbed into the bloodstream. If veterinary care is unavailable, then 3% hydrogen peroxide is the next alternative, given at 1 mL per pound, mixed with some milk or ice cream to hide the taste. This usually causes vomiting within 10 minutes.
Small Animal Medicine and Surgery