Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

5 week old puppy started just lying around like it was sick

5 week old puppy started just lying around like it was sick gave worm medicine for fear ir had worms, becuase i noticed its belly was bigger than the other two puppies. after worming her, her poop had dead worms in it, so thinking this was good felt better, but now after many hours later she is back to just lying around like she doesnt feel good again.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

In direct answer to your question : What you should do, just to be on the safe side is have your vet check your pup over sooner rather than later.

While the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet I would say from the fact that she is just lying about that it is possible that she is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. Basically what you are seeing may not be due to worms, many pups have worms and very often such pups do not show any symptoms.

I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that antibiotics would be what is needed if your pup is indeed running a temperature, but you should be aware that other diagnosis are also possible. I am sorry I cannot give you any more specific advice via the internet.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

but why would she go from just lying around to playing full steam after worming her to back to just lying around?

Hello again,

Some infections can rise and fall and come and go but what is for sure is that lethargy would be a common sign of high temperatures and infections.

Another possibility is that the wormer could have had this effect.

Sorry I cannot be more specific without examining your dog,