Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

HI My Pekingese lost her one eye over the weekend, the doctor

My Pekingese lost her one eye over the weekend, the doctor had to remove it. How well do they cope with things like this.

She gets a lot of attention, but just does not seem herself. I understand this must still be shock. But will this get better over time?

Any advice or ideas of this I can do to help her deal with this.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 5 years ago.

Hi Sir or Madam,

Actually dogs adjust to the loss of an eye or limb much better than humans. They may have a little trouble with depth perception for a short while, though. I've found that if the owner is calm and relaxed about the loss and tends not to worry about how the dog is doing, the dog does even better. I attribute this to a dog's natural ability to sense what their owners are feeling. So if an owner is worried about how a dog will react, the dog will react with fear or even aggression as it feels there is a threat if you are worried. A calm attitude and the belief that your dog will be fine will go a long way toward helping her recover.

If she should act scared or shy away from something, do not baby her, pet her or even tell her it's ok. When you do any of those things, you are actually encouraging the behavior as the dog sees that as positive attention. You need to ignore those behaviors and reward her for her normal behavior with praise and special treats. it may take her a few weeks to adjust to using her one eye to see everything and she may rely on her other senses a bit more, so you will need to help alert her to things out of her line of sight. You can do this with a little short tug on the leash in that direction to get her attention there. Just a little one will work as over time she will realize that is your signal ther is something there.

However, many dogs adjust perfectly well without any help at all. I strongly recommend that any special treatment not related to the healing of the eye be discontinued. I hope this information is helpful to you.