Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

chihuahua/terrier mix: yellowish..of her fur..She eats..energetic

Customer Question

My dog is a chihuahua/terrier mix and about 2 years old. She is vomitting constantly and its a yellowish brown colour with a streak of white in it with bits of food and some of her fur. She eats on a regular basis and is energetic, What could be the cause of her vomitting?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about how she is doing.

My primary concerns for vomiting include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s

To help settle the stomach you could try one of the following drugs.
1. Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 5 to 10mg. A typical cat gets ¼ tablet of the 10mg tablet.

2. Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.25 to 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 5 to 10mg.

3. Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.

4. Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate.
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Absolutely, you need to get your vet involved to get better supportive care and some testing.

Good Luck

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative, so I may receive credit for the answer. Receiving feedback and bonuses is happily welcomed.
The answer provided is for information only. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination. If you have any concerns please contact your primary veterinarian, or contact an ER facility if this is an emergency. REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She hasn't been exposed to any toxins or foreign objects, could it be the food that she is eating? We haven't tried to feed her a new type of food shes been eating Purina Puppy chow since she could manage dry food. I took her to the vet and they charged me over 100 dollars for some medications that I think seemed to have made her worse than she was when I brought her in, because before she was vomiting she was dry heaving and nothing would come up. Now I can't seem to get her to stop puking.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
If repetitive vomiting...you need a second opinion ASAP.

X-rays must be taken. I see cases monthly where NO ONE expected a foreign body, and 1 hour later, I am cutting it out of the stomach.

yes, food allergies are possible, but not often a cause for vomiting this bad.

I am also worried about pancreatitis exacerbating the problem.

Get into another vet for sure.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will do, thanks for the help.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
You are very welcome.
Good Luck

Please remember to click "accept" to close the question. Much appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So her stomach just started bubbling and she made an effort to vomit but didn't but shes not bloated or anything. Should I be concerned about bloat?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
Well, she probably is already bloated.
With vomiting or trying to vomit, pets swallow a lot of air. So if making an effort to vomit currently, all the more reason for the ER visit.

Fortunately, when there is bloat and torsion (the stomach twisting on itself), that tends to be more common in large breed dogs with deep chests.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Until I can see a vet, is it wise to encourage small amounts of food? Because she is shivering and I don't know what the cause to that may be. She seems eager to eat and is still attempting to be energetic.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
Shivering. Is a sign of nausea and/or pain!

You cannot offer any food to a pet that is vomiting.

You need to see a vet ASAP.

I hope everything works out okay. I must retire for the evening.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What can I do to keep her as comfortable as possible until I can get her to a vet?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 5 years ago.
Please refer to my first answer that listed the options for various antacid medications.
It is all I can offer.