Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 4 year old Shih Tzu has a small bump on the outer top lid

Customer Question

My 4 year old Shih Tzu has a small bump on the outer top lid of her left eye, just before the outer corner. I've noticed it for a few weeks, but just wanted to monitor it. It does not seem to bother her and is not red or have any puss. Please advise as to what this could be. Now just to the right of this bump, there seems to be another bump...potentially starting for form. It's not pronounced or as obvious as the other....still the same brown color as her eyelid. I can just tell that it's a little raised area. Any thoughts as to what this could be and treatment options?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 5 years ago.

Hi Sir or Madam,

This could be a sty or growth or even a hair follicle that is becoming infected or clogged. You will need the sty or growth looked at by your Vet as it may start to affect the way your dog's eyelashes set and start irritating the eyeball leading to an eye infection or scratches to the eye or corneal ulcerations from the constant rubbing of the growths against the eye.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/corneal-ulceration-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Early prevention is best in these cases. If it starts to irritate her, you can use sterile saline solution like contact lens wearers use to rinse her eye.

An infection of the hair follicle should clear with antibiotics as should a sty. However, a cyst or other growth might need to be removed. Since this might be tumors, I'm going to give you a site on these.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/eyelid-tumors-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I would recommend having this checked over by your vet to determine the exact nature of the bumps and so treatment can be started. Hope this helps.