Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

how can i get rid of yeast infection in my dogs ear. its constant

how can i get rid of yeast infection in my dogs ear. its constant and antibiotics clear it up while shes on them, but within a few weeks its back. i always finish and follow the dr's instructions but nothing seems to work. i want someting at home as far as treatment.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 3 years ago.

I am so sorry your little one is having trouble.

There is not an effective treatment to do at home that will totally clear the infection unfortunately in most cases prescription medication is needed.

There are some thing you can do to help, however you made need to investigate why she continues to get ear infections. Very often reoccuring ear infections are do to a food allergy. If that is the cases the problem will continue until you change to an allergy food.

For the ears you can try cleaning them with a dog ear cleaner twice weekly. Monistat cream( used for women) can be applied to the flaps of the ear . Do not squirt the medication in the ear. Use you finger or a cotton ball to apply.

Now to discuss the food allergies.

The most commonly areas of the body effected by a food allergy are the ears the feet and the rear If this is due to food allergies this will continue to be a problem until you find a food she can eat.

Dogs can develop food allergies at any times even if they have been on the same food for a long period of time While most people think that food allergies are due to grains such as corn, wheat, bran as well as soy that is in fact not the whole truth. The biggest problem is the PROTEIN source. This includes chicken, lamb and beef.

The following article discusses how to do a food trial in-depth this is the same instructions we give our clients. It is recommended to try a different protein source such as duck, rabbit, kangaroo or Bison and grain free We often see dogs do well on a different protein only to develop an allergy to this as well later down the road. Purina HA or Science diet ZD are top of the line allergen diets. These foods have had the molecules broken down to the point that the body can not identify what they are getting thereby eliminating all chance of an allergic reaction For an over the counter food we recommend Natural Balance duck and potato or Bison and sweet potato.

Read more here

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1587&aid=143

When trying a food trail it is very important that they get no other foods, treats or human foods as this will void out the food trial. This can take 6-8 weeks to show improvement so you must stick with it. Should you opt to try the trial and your baby is a treat eater here is a recipe you can make using his food as to not jeopardize the trial. These recipes are for science diet foods however any food can be used.

Using canned food:

Open the can and shake the loaf of food out of the can.

Cut the loaf into 1/4" thick slices, and then cut the slices into bite-sized pieces.

Bake the treats in a microwave oven on high for approximately 2½ to 3 minutes.

Store baked treats in the refrigerator and discard leftovers after 5-7 days.

Homemade treats should not exceed 10% of your pet's total daily intake because heat alters the nutritional characteristics of the food.

Do not freeze homemade treats.

For a conventional oven, follow the instructions above and place the bite-sized pieces on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until crispy.

Using Dry Food:

In a blender, add 2 cups of dry food and grind into a powder.

Pour powder into a mixing bowl and gradually add about 1 to 1¼ cups of water, stirring until it forms a dough consistency.

Shape into individual "treats" or "cookies" and flatten the dough using the back of a spoon (the cookies will not flatten like standard "people cookies" do.)

Place treats on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes or until crispy.

Do not freeze homemade treats.

Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns.

Candy

Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer