How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gary Your Own Question
Dr. Gary
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 19331
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ingested Aspercreme. What should I do

Customer Question

My dog ingested Aspercreme. What should I do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 5 years ago.
Hello.

This ingestion can act like an aspirin overdose causing GI ulcers and potentially kidney/ liver damage.

This is what I would do:
1. Give activated charcoal to bind as much toxin as possible in the GI tract
2. Put him on IV fluids for 24-48 hours
3. Get baseline bloodwork then recheck it at 24 and 48 hours to make sure we're not getting kidney/ liver damage.
4. Put him on a GI protectant like Pepcid ac (Famotidine) at 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours.

If any problems, then I'd put him on fluids longer or add other meds.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.