Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My 3 yr old, 7.5 pound Shih Tzu has been lethargic (not eating,

My 3 yr old, 7.5 pound Shih Tzu has been lethargic (not eating, barely moving around) and has pain in his abdomen (whimpers when I pick him up and trembles even when just laying down) for over 36 hours. He spent yesterday at the vet's office under observation, had Xrays done (normal), was given some fluids and antacid but has not improved much. He has taken in a little water (less than 3 tablespoons) in the last 16 hours, but has zero appetite. Normally, he is a high energy, playful dog and now he won't even go up or down the stairs. He seems to be in a lot of pain, and I don't know what to do. I can't think of what he could have ingested that might have upset his digestive system, but am concerned that without any calories or liquid, he will not improve. The vet took blood, urine, fecal samples which will be sent for tests after the weekend.

Hi Jacustomer-qxy97x5t~

I'm sorry that you and Lucky are having such a bad weekend.

What are you trying to get him to eat?

When was the last time he had anything to eat?

Is he still urinating and defecating?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have tried rice, white meat chicken, cheese (one of his favorites) and kibble. He has not eaten since Friday afternoon. Still urinating as of this AM, and last bowel movement was around 5PM last night.

The most important things to do is to try to encourage him to drink more. I've found that adding a little low sodium chicken broth to their water makes it smell better and they tend to want to drink more than they usually would.

As for eating...I would actually try some canned dogfood or canned catfood (cat food generally works better because it contains more fat and calories). I've also found that warming up the food in the microwave will make it smell stronger, and as we all know, dogs generally won't eat what they can't smell.

If he still won't eat, you can try rubbing a little Karo or pancake syrup on his gums to give him a little sugar burst. Sometimes just that little bit of extra energy can be utilized to help get them to eat...try the syrup and then if he perks up, offer the warmed food. Sometimes all they need is a little push to get over the hump in regards XXXXX XXXXX and then they'll do it on their own.

If he's still not feeling better by Monday, you should absolutely give your vet a call, just to ensure that everything is good with him. Hopefully this is just a little bout of gastroenteritis (digestive upset) that will pass, but it's always better to have him checked if he's not improving.