ERAnimalNurse
ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience

My dogs paws ( inside pads and between toes are bright red.

Customer Question

My dogs paws ( inside pads and between toes are bright red. He keeps licking them and irritating them. He is licking them raw ..
Category: Dog
Expert:  ERAnimalNurse replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry your dog is having trouble.

How long has this been going on?

What breed is your dog?

Has he been licking at his feet?

Has he seen his vet yet?

Let me know and I will try to help....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It has been going on for about a month... on and off

Boxer

Yes, he licks them all day if he could.

He did see a vet last year for the same problem.. He received steroids which helped. But I do not like to give him these meds. Is there any topical OTC that might help calming the irritation/ redness

Thank you for the additional information. Unfortunately, topical ointments are not going to help much, especially if your dog is still able to lick his feet. Managing this problem is going to have to involve use of an e-collar to keep him from his feet, and some oral medicines to relieve the inflammation and moist dermatitis between his paw pads. Steroids are a drug that we try to stay away from unless we need to use them, and I understand your reluctance to keep using them. Since this problem happened last year too, I suspect your dog might have some seasonal allergies. It might be possible to avoid using steroids if you can figure out exactly what he is allergic to. The downside? The only way to define his allergies is to have him seen by a veterinary dermatologist for an allergy panel. This can be expensive, but once you know what is causing his flare ups, the vet can have a lab formulate an allergy shot that can be given monthly instead of the steroids. I realize that you were probably not wanting to be told to see a specialist and have some expensive tests run, but I have seen many people become frustrated and spend more money on over the counter and at home treatments that don't work, just in the hopes of saving some money. I don't want that to happen to you :). Please consider the e-collar and another trip to the vet (a steroid injection might be needed to get the itching and burning under control initially, but the dermatologist will decide). Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been helpful, please hit the green accept button. Best of luck :)