Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.

my five yr old american cocker spaniel drops little poop balls about the size of a grape 1

my five yr old american cocker spaniel drops little poop balls about the size of a grape 1 to 2 times a day sometimes when she stretches.she has 1 to 2 full movements each day whether at home or on her walks any ideas. her movements are solid
Category: Dog
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.

Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

Do these little balls simply fall out as she's moving around? Or, does she squat as if she's having a bowel movement?

Did this problem just start?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes they fall out while she is moving around i dont believe she even knows its happening

start about six months ago but it is sparatic sometimes none for a day or two

Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. What Madie is experiencing is called fecal incontinence. It can be caused by several different conditions. It can be neurological - the nervous system doesn't let the dog know when she has to go. It can be due to an infestation of parasites, in the past or present, that damaged the colon. It can be due to weakening of the muscles of the rectum. You'll need to take Madie in for a vet exam to determine what is wrong. some of the causes of fecal incontinence are treatable, while others are not. your vet will have to diagnose the cause in order to determine what to do. You can read more about fecal incontinence here:

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope Madie will reach a full recovery.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)