Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

My dog started throwing up foamy bile since last night. this

My dog started throwing up foamy bile since last night. this is the most she's ever thrown up ever - 4 year old Bull Terrier. I took her out last night before bed and she ate a bunch of grass and threw up outside. When I woke up today she had puked in her crate and when I let her out she puked on the floor twice. All together she's puked 10 times in the past 12 hours. We had a party last night and there were some grapes, but she couldn't have eaten more than 10 if she ate any at all. What should I do? Is there anything I can do to help her without going to a vet?
Hi, thanks for your question. Grapes can cause severe kidney failure in dogs, so even one or two is a situation not to be taXXXXX XXXXXghtly. It is possible that this vomiting is due to having eaten something else, which may have triggered pancreatitis, a common problem in dogs who have been fed items that they are not used to. Because of the life-threatening risks with grape ingestion, my best suggestion is to get her to a veterinarian immediately, so that she can be started on IV fluids to help protect the kidneys.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I want to avoid the vet if at all possible. Is there anything I can do at home to help her? Is there a time frame that if she keeps throwing up it is life threatening?
You will be risking kidney failure and death if she is not started on intravenous fluid. It's important that you realize that.

At-home care of stomach upset usually involves restricting food and water for 8-10 hours. A single dose (one time) of pepto-bismol sometimes will settle the stomach (1 tablespoon per 30-40 pounds), but otherwise, no oral medicines are likely to be useful in such a case. Certainly, nothing is going to prevent kidney damage if she is one of the dogs that is susceptible to grape poisoning.