Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Hi, My dog wont eat but her vomiting seems to have stopped

My dog won't eat but her vomiting seems to have stopped and she is drinking water. She had 104 fever but that seems better. Gave her A/D ointment vet suggested for her tail she was biting due to anal glands which she licked. She ate yesterday morning and when I first got home she seemed much better but about 1/2 hour later she suddenly looked extremely nauseous, started lip smacking like she does when she's going to vomit, and started shaking all over. She wouldn't eat - even chicken which she loves. She ate about 6 small pieces of chicken this morning & I've been mixing it with rice and now she's not defecating. She got an antibiotic and Cerenia injections, IV fluids and blood tests (red blood cell count was high possibly due to dehydration, glucose was low & told that sometimes happens on transport to the lab and thyroid is low possibly because she is sick right now.

Any suggestions? Is it okay to give her Pedialyte and how much for a 50 lb golden retriever? If it's a stomach virus, how many days does it usually last for a dog?

Thank you, Barbara
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Stomach viruses can last anywhere from a day to several days. The fact that she's no longer vomiting is a good sign though.

It's perfectly okay to let her have Pedialyte. I'd dilute it down just a bit...half and half is a good place to start, but only allow her to have it in small amounts, just to avoid overwhelming her stomach and getting her back on the vomiting kick.

Dogs who have a stomach virus tend to not want to eat...sort of like a human when they have the flu. You don't really want to eat because you don't want to get the vomiting started again. As long as she's still drinking, that's better than not eating AND not drinking. A dog can go a few days without eating and not cause any real problems, but dehydration can sneak up on you quickly, so making sure that she's still drinking, at least a little at a time, is important.

If she's not acting more like herself or if she still hasn't eaten in the next 24 hours or so, then you should absolutely have her seen by a vet again, just to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps.