Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

What is the right dose of pregnisone for a 30 pound dog with

What is the right dose of pregnisone for a 30 pound dog with cancer ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the question,

Sorry to hear about Rufus, while I can only speak generally about this disease I can tell you the following :

1. In direct answer to your question : You would always be best to have a vet involved when treating this disease and different vets would have different ideas about dose rates etc., this is not a disease you should consider self treating as if you get it wrong you will shorten your dog's life.

However typical doses rates for Prednisone in this situation would range from between 1 to 3 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight for the first week, given twice a day orally. Then reduce this by 50% after one week and then make a further 50% reduction one week after that as a maintenance dose. However the actual dose would be varied depending on your dog's response to the treatment and the level of any side effects.

Here is some more information ...

2. There are a number of ways of treating lymphoma, one of which is by the use of prednisone alone, this is given orally. If you go down this road your dog is likely to have a six week to two month remission period, during this remission period these dogs will be close on normal and have a good quality of life. At the end of the remission period the disease will come back with a vengeance and normally your dog will die very shortly after that.

3. There are more advanced treatment plans involving standard chemotherapy drugs which will give significantly longer periods of remission. However using steroids alone previously will very much reduce the effectiveness of them if you decide to change treatments. So you have to decide which way to go from the start.

4. On the chemotherapy protocols I have undertaken the side effects I have seen have normally been quite minimal. What you would normally achieve in my experience would be six to nine months of remission and normal life but then the drugs become ineffective and the dog slips away. Cures are in theory possible but I personally have rarely seen any but you would have a much better chance of success if your dog is dealt with by a specialist oncologist.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We did take Rufus to an onocolgist and she put him on prednisone 20mgs 1x daily but did not say anything about cutting the dosage.. but we have done a lot of reading and I think the medication is making him weak and even more lathargic but he is eating and drinking as he was not before.. we went with the steriod because the cancer we believe is already in his lungs,,, so we are not trying for a cure but a balance.. He has been taking this drug 1x a day for 3 weeks do you think it would help with us starting to cut the dosage in 1/2 and then 1/2 again and using it as maintenance ? We just didnt think the chemo and other options would cure him and the cost was very high..
Hello again,

I have to advise you to follow the oncologist's advice at all times. The problem you face is that the symptoms you are seeing could well be due to the advance of the lymphoma not side effects of the prednisone.

That said many vets would adjust the level of the prednisone and observe the effect ...

Good luck,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.