Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

Hi my dog is eating but losing weight, she has been wormed

Hi my dog is eating but losing weight, she has been wormed with a full spectrum course of tablets that include tapeworm, her stools are often and ranging from liquid, to jelly like with traces of blood, the smell of this type of stool is putrid.
Some days she does not want to eat, and sleeps all day, other days she is up and eating and lively. any suggestions please.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 3 years ago.

Dr. K :

Dr. K :

What was the name of the medication that she was dewormed with?

Customer:

Hi the name of the medication was Drontal, full spectrum dose for all worms/parasites

Dr. K :

How much weight has she lost?

Dr. K :

For how long has she had these types of stools?

Dr. K :

Does she ever have episodes of vomiting?

Customer:

Considerable weight loss she has gone from 19kg to 15kg over the year since this started, vomiting is not an issue.

Customer:

sorry for delay in reply as been away from email/computer

Dr. K :

There are a number of different things that can cause chronic inability to gain weight and diarrhea in a dog. The most common of them is chronic endoparasitism. Endoparasites can include, hookworms, roundworms, tapeworms, whipworms, coccidia, giardia, etc... Therefore, I recommend that you submit a sample of your dog’s stool for fecal analysis and a Giardia ELISA. Since you have already dewormed your dog with Drontal, this diagnosis is less likely...but is still a possibility, as Drontal does not kill all of these parasites.
Other reasons that this could be happening include malabsorptive/maldigestive disorders such as exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), and certain forms of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) like lymphangiectasia. The first step in diagnosing these disorders is to have blood and urine laboratory testing to look for changes that may be consistent with one or more of the things on this list.
Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (EPI) is a disorder in which the pancreas is not appropriately producing the enzymes that are responsible for breaking down food into the molecules that can be digested by the intestine. These dogs keep eating, but do not gain weight because they cannot get the nutrients from the food. It is also characterized by a very foul-smelling diarrhea. This can be diagnosed with a blood test called a TLI assay. If your dog has this disease, it is easily treated with an enzyme supplement called Viokase, which is put on the dogs food about 30 minutes before they eat it to predigest it.
SIBO is a condition in which there is an overgrowth of certain bacteria that normally live in the gut. This can result in chronic diarrhea, and altered malabsorption and maldigestion and gut motility. It is diagnosed with a serum blood test called folate and cobalamine. Treatment involves lifelong administration of metronidazole or Tylan powder to help control the overgrowth. Most dogs do well with gaining weight, once they are being appropriately treated.
Inflammatory bowel disease is diagnosed with biopsies of the inside of the intestinal tract, usually obtained using an endoscope. The treatment is specific to the type of IBD the dog has, but often involves a change to a special prescription diet and a low-dose of corticosteroids to control the inflammation. This certainly could be your dog's problem, as IBD can cause the jelly-like stools that you describe and the blood in the stool.
I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. If you have further questions about this matter, please just let me know and I would be happy to address them for you. If not, then please click on the "accept."

Customer:

thank you for your most in depth awnsers you have been a big help.

Customer:

Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years experience as Veterinarian