Dr. Wally
Dr. Wally, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years experience in veterinary field.
12284676

What are the tell tell signs of allergy in dogs My dog sometimes

What are the tell tell signs of allergy in dogs? My dog sometimes scratches especially on the belly behind the front legs. No sighs in the skin however and the coat is beautifull. She is on a grain free feed.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Wally replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Wally :

Good morning! I'd like to help you with your question.

Dr. Wally :

Can you tell me, what do you use to prevent fleas? How often do you bathe your dog?

Dr. Wally :

And what kind of dog do you have?

Customer:

Hi and thank you.

Customer:

She is a labrador retriever.

Customer:

When I got her she got a flea drop in the coat (by the neck) I have had her for 6 month but have not treatet her for fleas since. It's freezing in Denmark this time a year and have read on the internet, that the producets for fleas should be used only when flees have been found.

Dr. Wally :

Ah, well that helps. We may have access to different flea products, because I am in the states, but we advise that you should use them year round, because of two reasons:

Dr. Wally :

1-most owners never see the fleas, and don't know how to find them

Customer:

The dog swimm to built up the muscles once a week for 7 weeks, after she swimms I bath her because of the clorin in the water. Otherwise I dont' bath her.

Dr. Wally :

2- because fleas live on critters all year long. Your dog may not pick up new fleas outside if it is freezing, but an indoor-outdoor cat or any outside animals can carry live fleas close enough to get to your dog.

Dr. Wally :

Okay, that helps, thanks.

Customer:

Ok good point. She could have gotten the fleas from "dogs meeting" when we train.

Dr. Wally :

What do you use to bathe her after swimming?

Customer:

A shampoo from the groomers that should be a "mild" as possible.

Customer:

not to irritate the skin

Dr. Wally :

Great. It doesn't sound like an allergy...so that's good! I have a few suggestions. Give me a minute to type this up...

Customer:

ok thanks :-)

Dr. Wally :

Allergies in dogs tend to affect the skin and mucous membranes (ear canals, around the rectum), causing redness, itchiness, swelling, and rash. It sounds like your dog just has itchy skin, not a rash. Fleas could be present, so make sure you check carefully and if there's any question, use a flea product that your vet recommends. It sounds like you are in the deep winter there and the problem may lie in the way you heat your house and the fact that the air is so dry when the weather is cold. I would recommend trying to moisturize the coat by using a conditioner after the dog's bath, and adding fish oil to the dog's diet. the Omega-3 fatty acids help keep the skin in top shape while reducing inflammation. I recommend one capsule (usually 1000 or 1200mg) per 20 pounds of body weight. For a lab, this is usually 4 capsules per day.

Customer:

Thanks for your answer. I give her oils in the diet but hadn't thought of a conditioner. I will try that.

Dr. Wally :

Keep an eye out for rash, which would suggest allergies. Also, when you feed treats or her food, flip her ear up and check for redness. If a dog reacts to foods, they usually flush bright pink within 20 minutes of eating foods that don't agree with them.\