How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lisa Your Own Question
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16168
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Lisa is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

dog: lethargic and unsteady on his feet...he ate a peice of hot meat

Customer Question

my dog is having rapid shallow breathing. he is lethargic and unsteady on his feet. yesterday he ate a peice of hot meat that fell off of the grill and choked on it. and since then has been acting strangely. also a snake repelent was applied to the fencein the back year and he may have ingested some. weare not sure what could be the problem
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 years ago.

Hi Jacustomer-h17s0h8k~

 

Without question, your dog needs to be seen by a vet as soon as possible. There are a couple big things that could be going on here:

 

First, your dog could have ingested a toxic substance (the snake repellent) and is suffering a reaction from that. Many poisons damage the kidneys or liver after ingestion, so the shallow breathing and lethargy you're seeing could absolutely be from that. Without treatment, most ingested toxins are fatal.

 

Secondly, the hot piece of meat could have burned his esophagus or the digestive tract. The breathing you're seeing could be a sign of severe discomfort. Having the dog evaluated, to ensure that he's not suffering 3rd degree burns in his throat is the best thing to do. Left untreated, these kinds of burns can actually cause the esophagus to swell to the point of cutting of air flow in the trachea, which will cause the dog to suffocate and die.

 

Please get your dog to a vet as soon as you can, first thing this morning.