Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My dogs eyes occasionally dilate differently. it happens to

Customer Question

My dogs eyes occasionally dilate differently. it happens to both eyes, the smaller one doesn't react to light but he can see out of it. And they will go back to normal in a short period of time.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. So you are visibly seeing different sized pupils at the same time? Does it seem like the smaller side is always one side?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
did you get my reply?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
I'm very sorry, nothing has come through but your last reply of "did you get my reply". Can you write your reply again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, his pupils are very different. One will be very tiny the other very large. Switches sides. He doesn't seem to notice when it's happening
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
Ok. This is a very odd situation if actually the pupils would be changing sides as far as which one was smaller than the other. Honestly, the one situation that could be easily happening is that when you look at one with a light, it narrows and by the time you switch to look at the other it has dilated some. There are diseases that can cause one pupil to be smaller or larger than the other, but these don't switch sides and go back to normal that quickly. I would say that the best thing to do is to have your vet exam him and do a very good ophthalmology exam to evaluate for any issues. I would take eye pressures and look at the back of the eye with an ophthalmascope. I'm hoping that this is something that really is nothing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The eyes are very obviously dilated to opposite sizes without the light. I only use the light to keep checking which ones are responding each time they do this.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
Are the eyes at times the same size? If they area the same size at these other times, then it is a situation that seems very odd.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Most of the time they are completely normal, same size and dilate as would be expected. They only do this for short periods of time. I can't find anyone who has seen this before.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
Has anyone else been able to see what you're seeing?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, my sister who is a vet tech and other friends and family, as I said they are completely opposite ends of the spectrum when they do this. So one eye is very blue with a pin point of black and the other is almost all black with a thin ring of blue. He had to have a third eye lid corrected and the doctor that did the surgery couldn't find anything wrong other than the eyelid during his exams. I was just hoping someone would have some idea what is going on.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 5 years ago.
This is something that I'm going to say that I've never seen personally. I'll opt out to see if any other experts have seen this.