Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario

i used the old thread so you remembered biscuit.

fiona did you see my question today? i have not heard back and see you have been online today? i used the old thread so you remembered biscuit.
pam
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 3 years ago.
Hi Pam!
I did see your question but wasn't able to answer it earlier as we had a guest for dinner.

Let me just paste your question over here...

Fiona
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh np take your time- just was trying to find you. initially the site indicated you had not been online in days so i was not sure if you would get my message but then i saw you had logged in and worried it did not reach you. talk to you when you can. :) pam
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 3 years ago.
Just went to find it, and I see that Dr.Jeff has provided you with an excellent answer, with which I completely agree! :-)

Fiona
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 3 years ago.
It looks like we were posting at the same time!

Yes, when you replied to our previous thread, that sent an email to my home email. Also, this thread triggered an email to my home email. So, either way works if you would like to reach me. :-)

Last year, we were living in France, and I was on-line here every day for many hours a day. Now, we have moved back home to Canada, and I am back at work "in person" at a veterinary hospital. Thus, I often go many days or even weeks without finding time to get on-line here. I will always try to respond to people who request me, but I may not be as quick as I used to be, unfortunately.

I hope that famotidine (pepcid) is available again for you soon. Can you get a generic version of it? Just look for something containing famotidine. Otherwise, Dr.Jeff's sugggestions were great!

Best wishes,
Fiona
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok then i will accept that answer especially with your endorsement. :) i have something else to ask you = biscuit had what i think might have been a seizure...i am not even sure. he was on the bed with me and started staring into space..his eyes started to water and i went and got a tissue...he almost acted like he couldnt see me and was trying to get up from the laying position with his back legs scratching at the comforter. this all took place in less than 15 seconds. immediately after he seemed perfectly normal - making me question what i even saw. he has been fine ever since. perfectly normal functioning etc. this happened a few weeks ago and frankly since he seemed fine - i did not run to a vet. should i be concerned or just do what i have been doing and watch for this type of thing again?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i am glad you are back home and getting to do hands on work as well. i am also glad that you can still get alerts when someone requests you. i will remember that when i write in and try and be more patient and if it is an urgent matter god forbid act accordingly.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 3 years ago.
Pam,
Hmmm...that does sound odd! It is possible that it might have been a seizure, though perhaps it was something like a muscle spasm?

The hallmark of a seizure is that the animal is confused for a period of time afterwards. It may be only a minute or two, but it can be as long as an hour. Now, you say that immediately after he seemed perfectly normal, so that makes me think it was NOT a seizure. But, it's hard to say!

It might have been something called a partial motor seizure – also called a “petit mal” seizure.

Here are some videos of this type of seizure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3xJJwI62_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thQe8TbYzFA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC_PdwqKjKc&feature=related

Now, even with this petit mal seizure, there is a period of disorientation afterwards.

Did you see that at all?

Do any of those look like what happend to Biscuit?

Fiona
PS I am logging off for the night now as it is 11:15pm here!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
wow those were hard to watch- poor dogs. none really fit biscuit as they seemed longer in duration first off. the closest one i would say was the dachsand one altho biscuit had his head fully erect and was facing me his eyes started to water and maybe that was disorientation the way he was looking toward me but appeared as if he couldnt see me...but that was clearly during the episode not afterward. then i wiped his eyes and right afterward his focus clearly was back (he acted like he could see me in other words) and tried to get up the hind quarters seemed compromised - oh and while the watering of eyes was going on he was trembling not thrashing but more like he was cold or fearful type trembling. he was focused on me while trying to get up not his legs which seemed odd-something he would do if he were nervous again but nothing was going on that he would have been frightened by. i would think he would be looking at his legs when they werent cooperating but he didnt. then got up and seemed perfectly normal. came right to me and wanted to be held/petted. it is puzzling and he has been fine since.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
reply when you can. thank you for communicating you were signing off last nite. it is easier to know if you are around or will be a while. i am going to be offline for a few hours - leaving the house soon it is around 7:20 am here est. and will check back when i get home. thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
one final thing enters my mind ... is this something that needs to be conclusively dealt with if we are to have biscuits teeth cleaned and have him go under anesthesia? i truly am having financial struggles and hope not to have a huge medical work up - he may need his teeth cleaned at some point and i worry about the anesthesia in conjunction with all this. thanks.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 3 years ago.
Pam,
Ok, from what you are describing, I really am not convinced that this was a seizure!

I wonder whetherCustomermight have had a muscle spasm, or even something in his eyes, making them tear up and thus making it hard for him to see?

Hopefully, it never happens again... but if it does, then it would be SO helpful if you could take a video! Many cell phones can take short videos, so if you have one close by and can grab it, that would be great.

It really helps to be able to see the whole patient during an episode, but also to see his face and jaws and eyes during the episode.

Start a log. Note in it the date, time and duration of any seizure-like event. Note the position ofCustomer(on his right side, on his left, on his belly, etc), and whether or not he urinates or defecates during it. Note how many hours since he ate, and also whether there has been anything different or stressful in the week prior to it (visitors, a move, renovations, etc).

I can understand your financial concerns! In terms of what to do to protect Biscuit and keep him as healthy and safe as possible, I would suggest 2 things in regards XXXXX XXXXX dental and anesthesia:

1. Have blood work done before hand.

This will let us know how well his liver and kidneys are working, and that his red and white blood cell numbers are where they should be.

2. Make sure that he has an IV catheter and IV fluids during his anesthetic.

This ensures that he won't suffer from low blood pressure, and *if* anything did go wrong, that his veterinarian would be able to inject emergency drugs instantly, without having to search for a vein.

I hope that helps you! I know how much you loveCustomerand want to do everything to protect him and keep him healthy.

If this has been helpful, please accept my answer and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will be back to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Fiona

Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years experience as a companion animal veterinarian in British Columbia, California and Ontario
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks fiona very helpful info!

regards, pam