Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

my dog eats grass and then vomits up alot of bile. he is11years

my dog eats grass and then vomits up alot of bile. he is11years old I had him on a diet of boiled white rice and chicken and pepcid. for one week he was better. any ideas he is a small german shepard weighs 64lbs
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hello.

Is he losing weight?

How long has this been going on?

Has any blood work or have x-rays been done?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This went on for two weeks He was eating and right away would voimt up the food He also had diarrea. I brought him to his vet and she checked him out and said he had an enlarged spleen, no blood work or exrays she put him on the diet of white rice ,boiled and boiled white chicken. one week he was back to himself and had only lost one pound. nothing but this diet for a whole week. He would voimt a lot of bile even without eating the grass. He showed no signs of distress or pain still very active for 11years old. After one week I brought him back and she checked him again saying he was not showing the enlarged spleen. I am of limited income. If you could suggest some thing to try first.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks.

To be completely honest, weeks of vomiting in an 11 year old shepherd with an enlarged spleen is very suggestive of HSA (hemangiosarcoma). This is a very common type of cancer that shepherds get. It can occur on the spleen, liver and heart. Usually these dogs will present when the mass ruptures, although some will have just vomiting, weight loss or pain.

You really should have x-rays or ultrasound of the abdomen and then blood work to rule out the possible metabolic causes- liver disease, kidney disease, diabetes, ect.

For just mild GI signs, I usually go with Pepcid at a dose of 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours. You could also try something like Maalox or Mylanta as they're better coating medications. 1 teaspoon 2-3 times daily.

It sounds like you did the initial conservative therapy well with the bland diet and Pepcid. Unfortunately, that rules out a lot of the more benign causes of chronic vomiting. That leaves us with some real diseases and then the option is to go looking for them or just deal with the signs.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
this is what my vet told me I am just going to keep him on the special diet and keep him as long as it allows and not let him suffer.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 years ago.
The only hesitation I would have with that approach is that chicken/ rice is not a balanced diet. It's ok for a few days or a week when we have GI upset but it's not ok to feed long term. I would wean him onto a sensitive stomach commercial food. This will help to make sure we're not starving his body of the calories he needs.