How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joan Your Own Question
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 17415
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Joan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

are real corks (from a wine bottle) poisonous for dogs

Resolved Question:

are real corks (from a wine bottle) poisonous for dogs?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

Hello,

Did your dog eat a cork?

If he did eat it was it chewed or swallowed whole?

What type of dog are we discussing?

Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, the cork is gone, it could have been eaten/chewed by either a german shepard 4 mo old puppy or a 9 month old siberian husky. I saw the huskyt chewing something but didn't realize what it might have been until I went to put the cork in my bottle.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

Hello,

Cork itself is not toxic, but if swallowed whole it can cause a blockage in the intestinal tract. If chewed, it should pass. I would normally suggest inducing vomiting if an hour or less, but if swallowed whole it can lodge in the wind pipe, so I am hesitatnt to advise that. At this point, The choice would be to wait and see if it passes in the stool. You could take the dogs in and have them X rayed and see if the Vet can retrieve it with an endoscope if swallowed whole or take a wait and see stand. Watch for symptoms of a problem which can include vomiting, diarrhea, tender abomen, diarrhea, constipation or a combination of the issues listed. The thing you have in your favor is the both dogs are large breed and have a better chance to pass the cork if it was swallowed whole. Joan

Joan and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. I really think that the husky ate it because the shepard isn't big enough yet to get it from the counter and we saw her chewing something. It was old and cracking when I took it out of the bottle, so I'm sure it go chewed. I've use Hyd. peroxide on the dogs before, but am not concerned if the cork is actually not poisonous. Thanks again and have a nice evening!