Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Is Bayer low dose safe to give to my dog for a strain pain

Customer Question

Is Bayer low dose safe to give to my dog for a strain pain? My 240 pound mastiff slipped on ice and strained his leg. We know for sure that there are no breaks. We have been trying to keep his activity low to let it heal.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. How long ago did this happen?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This has been going on since Friday. We have ice here in our yard since we have gotten hammered with all this snow. I have gone out there to try to break it up but it is pretty thick. I feared putting too much salt out there because I heard it was not good for their pads, but now look what happened.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I am very glad you have asked this question rather than just going ahead and dosing your dog ....

On a short term home remedy basis aspirin would be regarded as very much safer and more effective than the other human over the counter pain killers. A typical dose rate would be is 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

Given the above is accurate then a 240 pound Mastiff could be given up to 1200 mg twice a day, it is best given with some food.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS