Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my dog isnt acting right today he seems very timid, his body

my dog isn't acting right today he seems very timid, his body seems shaky, and has been whining alittle. We are very concerned
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 5 years ago.

Hi Sir or Madam,

Is he eating and drinking normally?

Does he have any vomiting or diarrhea?

Has he had any bones, rawhides or ingested any non food items?

Has he had any people food that you know of?

When did he last eat?

What breed is he?

Does he have a hunched over appearance?

Is he avoiding jumping or stairs?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He really isn't eating to much today,he vomited yesterday my husband said it was phleghmy Three days ago my husband gave him and our golden retriever a steak bone. Other than that no people food. He last ate last night. He is 20-30%Boxer,20-30%Schnauzer 10-19%Irish Setter 10-19%Poodle less than 10%Collie less than 10%Shetland Sheepdog and less than 10%Siberian Husky (we did a DNA) on him because he's a rescue.No hunched over appearance and doesn't seem to be avoiding stairs. Any other info you need?

It is not good to give a dog cooked bones at all. They can cause intestinal obstructions which you can read about here:

In addition, bones can splinter and puncture the gastrointestinal tract causing peritonitis.

A yellowish mucousy vomit can occur due to excess bile often caused by an empty stomach, so that might be the cause of the one instance of vomiting. I'm going to go over the causes of trembling first so you have that information. Shaking or trembling in can be due to hypoglycemia, liver shunt, or a neurologic response such as a seizure. Trembling can also be a sign of pain, stress and cold.

Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar and frequently causing trembling in small breeds. Feeding your dog smaller meals more frequently can help. If you suspect your dog is having low blood sugar you can put a drop of pancake syrup on your dog's tongue which should raise the level.

A liver shunt is usually a genetic condition. It is a condition where instead of the blood going through the liver and being cleansed, part of the blood is diverted around the liver resulting in a toxic buildup in the blood. You can read about these here:

Seizures can manifest as trembling and a dog may not lose conscienceness. You can read more about seizures here:

I suspect that your dog may be in pain, but it is impossible to know for sure the cause of the pain. It could very well be the result of the bone which may be causing som pain as it moves through your dog's system if it hasn't caused a more serious issue such as obstruction or peritonitis. You might try giving a little pepcid or Zantac. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here:

Zantac can be given to a dog at .25 to 1mg per pound every 8-12 hours. Read about usage here:

This will help with excess bile. Wait 45 minutes or so and then offer a small portion of boiled chicken and rice. I'd also add a spoonful of plain yogurt to your dog's food 2-3 times a week to add good bacteria to your dog's stomach to aid in digestion as well. A bland diet of boiled chicken and rice can be used for a few days. If your dog does fine, you can slowly reintroduce your dog's regular food into the chicken and rice mixture until it is all regular food.

However, if your dog should vomit, have diarrhea, be unable to defecate or stop eating , I would have him seen by your vet. Fresh blood or mucus indicates inflammation within the large intestine while dark black or tarry looking stools indicate bleeding in the stomach or small intestines. If your dog's stools become black then your dog should see a Vet immediately. I would continue to monitor him for the next few days until you are sure he is back to his old self. Your vet can take x-rays and run bloodwork to ensure that there isn't an issue, so definitely have him seen if there is no improvement.

I hope this information is helpful to you.