UKVETJH
UKVETJH, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS since 2004, Cert Vet Acupuncture. High caseload of canine patients.

my dog a Lhasa Apso is 13 yrs old its just started with poohing

my dog a Lhasa Apso is 13 yrs old its just started with poohing about 12 times a day and night in the house also at night i feed her 2 times a day the stools are semy hard runny ive starved her fed her once a day on rice/ chicken she was ok again then went back again to doing this went vets bought some choc taste stuff to line her bowel and help her again workrd now same again i feed her only bakers senior for small dogs once in the morning once at night helppppppp my carpet is ruined and dont want my dog to become really ill
Category: Dog
Expert:  UKVETJH replied 3 years ago.

Hi there and thanks for your question,

Is your dog eating well and drinking normally?

Does she seem bright and happy?

Have you noticed any blood in the poo?

Is she passing urine ok?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she eats well always scrounging never ever eats what we eat though

she is very bright and happy

no blood in pooh

and passing wee ok

she seems to jump on things now and barks to get down like she has forgot how to do it but does not have sore legs

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
are you waiting for money cause i dont know how this works ive deposited $15 dollars for this do i transfer to you for answers
Expert:  UKVETJH replied 3 years ago.

Hi there and thanks for the extra information.

It sounds as though this diarrhoea is quite persistent but it is good that she appears to be well otherwise. As she is keen to eat and drink and there is not any blood present in the faeces this may still be something you can manage at home, although as we always say here, if you are in any doubt you should have her examined by a vet in case there is something underlying.

Starving for 24 hours and then feeding chicken/rice is a good way to settle the tummy, but you might need to do it a little more intensively to really clear things up. When dogs have diarrhoea, their guts struggle to deal with big meals and this can mean that things don't settle, so probably best to starve for another 12hours or so and then go back to chicken and rice but feed tiny meals every few hours rather than just once a day. Once the stools start to firm up then she needs to have at least 3-4 days of normal poo before going back onto her normal food, and then do this gradually over 3-4 days too. Bakers food is quite rich and contains lots of artificial colourings etc so the gut needs to be fully recovered before it can digest this type of food properly.

Also make sure that your dogs worming is up to date.

If things don't settle, then you probably need to talk to your vet and have her examined - she is an older dog so other things could be going on - she may simply need some antibiotics to clear up a bug but it is best to be on the safe side. If she seems off colour, starts vomitting, passing blood or just generally unwell, then have her examined sooner.

I hope this helps,

Jen

UKVETJH, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVetMed MRCVS since 2004, Cert Vet Acupuncture. High caseload of canine patients.