Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

my boxer puppy just got diagnosed with carpal valgus in both

Customer Question

my boxer puppy just got diagnosed with carpal valgus in both front legs. They ordered her some braces for her legs. I was just wondering if that usually got rid of it completely or just slowed it down?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 5 years ago.
Hi there.

How old is your puppy exactly?
Is she having any difficulties walking?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She is 8 weeks and is walking and running good. she just stands on the side of her feet
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.

Carpal valgus in an 8 week old Boxer puppy may have several causes, including contraction of the tendons which does not allow the straightening of the joints (this is the most common reason). Almost all Boxer puppies with carpal valgus recover on their own and do not require any sort of therapy, including braces. In fact, braces can sometimes make things worse because they restrict the normal motion of the joint and could lead to different problems. The growth plates of an 8 week old puppy (places where the bones lengthen) are still open so the bones are still growing and it will take some time for the joints to straighten. They may never be 100% straight, but they should improve significantly.

The problem comes in when there is a nutritional deficiency or when the growth plates close (when the dog is older); at that point, if the carpal valgus causes problems walking, surgery is needed, but at this time, things will likely improve very much on their own.

Your vet, of course, is the best judge because he/she has actually examined your pup, but as a general comment, I'd avoid the brace and just let the bones/joints develop and grow up for a little while and chance are, they will straighten...

Hope this helps; please let me know if you have any other questions or need more information!