Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

my dogs neck is swollen, almost looks like a pouch a pelican

my dogs neck is swollen, almost looks like a pouch a pelican would have. it happened within a days time. It is soft we could touch it without any problem and he had constant drool coming from one side of his mouth, which is irregular for him. My wife tried to wipe it and touched his mouth and he snapped at her. he has been slightly sluggish but will still play fetch, eat food, and drink some water (not as much as usual). The past few hours the drool is no longer there and he seems a little more perky, but the swelling remains. he is a 4 year old intact rottweiler.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

I am so sorry your boy is having trouble.

Without seeing him I can not say with 100% certainty but it sounds like your boy has a problem with the salivary gland.

These glands can become infected, clogged or damaged, a hands on exam will be needed to find the cause.

Read more here

http://www.helium.com/items/1048435-saliva-gland-infections-in-dogs

In cases of infected or clogged glands often medication and draining the build up of saliva is effective treatment, however in some cases the gland needs to be removed.

I would suggest having him seen by your vet tomorrow this is not something that will resolve on its own.

I hope all goes well, please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns

Candy