Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

My 18month old english mastiff is limping on his front right

My 18month old english mastiff is limping on his front right paw. We have felt all the bones and he didn't even wimper, we also examined in between and found no foreign objects, bite marks or cuts. The only abnormality we can see is that the far left and far right pads on that foot are a lighter pinky/white where as the rest is black on all his paws. He puts some weight on and is eating and drinking well and is still alert.
Hi, thanks for your question. How long has this limping been going on for? Is it getting better or worse with time?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It started yesterday afternoon and it is still about the same. Could he have grazed the paw pads without drawing blood? He is about 70kg and it is hard for him limping due to his size. But he hasn't whimpered at all.

Were these lighter areas previously black like the others? Or are you not sure if they were possibly always lighter in color?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't say 100% but I am fairly certain they were black
OK, thanks. This may be a case of the paw pads being "denuded" as a result of running on a hard surface, if there's been any vigorous exercise in the last day or two, that would be my suspicion. If there's no history of such activity, then there are other possibilities, but a biopsy of the affected areas might be needed in order to check for immune-mediated diseases that can cause loss of pigmentation. These would be unlikely in a young dog, but would be the next step if it doesn't appear that these are denuded paw pads.

If in fact these are denuded, then care is mostly supportive - padded bandages, antibiotic cream, and pain medicine (ideally, prescription veterinary pain medicine), for a few days. There would not be any long term consequences expected from such an issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thankyou, you have been great.