Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.

My puppy just ate hand cream, the ingredients are as follows,

My puppy just ate hand cream, the ingredients are as follows, water, glycerin, stearic acid, ammonium stearate, ammonium borate, dimethicone, paraffin , hydroxypropylmethlcellulose, allantonin, diazolidinyl urea, octyldodecyl stearate and iodopropynyl butylcarbamate. Are any of these ingredients harmful? Thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this accident. Can you tell me the brand name of the hand cream, about how much of it your puppy consumed, how long ago it happened, and how much your puppy weighs?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is called o'keeffe's working hands cream. I am not sure how much she consumed, but half of the container is still full so I don not believe it was that much. she ate it about 45 mins ago, and she is about 12 pounds. She is currently sleeping and does not seem to be in distress.
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. The ingredients in the hand cream are toxic, but not usually fatal. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, digestive system pain, and can lead to complications, such as intestinal blockages. How much danger there is depends on how much she actually consumed. Symptoms don't appear right away. You can choose to take her to the vet now, which is what I would do since she is tiny. The other option is to keep an eye on her all night. If any of the symptoms above appear, even just stomach distress, you'll need to quickly take her to the vet. Of course, she may have eaten so little that nothing at all will happen. You'll have to make the decision. As a first aid measure, you can give her some activated charcoal, which absorbs toxins. It can be purchased in a pharmacy and even in some discount stores. It has no flavor so can be mixed with food to get her to ingest it. Cottage cheese would be a good choice of food. The charcoal itself is completely nontoxic, so the amount you give isn't critical.

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your puppy will have no effects whatsoever.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)