Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

My dog has begun licking my other dogs anus obsessively. Is

My dog has begun licking my other dog's anus obsessively. Is there a reason for this? Would second dog have something wrong for the one dog to be doing this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

Can you tell me if you have noticed any dragging of the rear end on the dog that is being licked?

Have you noticed any unusual strong odor from the dog being licked?

Are the dogs neutered or spayed?

How long has this been happening?

Edited by Joan on 2/4/2011 at 3:40 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No dragging of rear from dog being licked. No odor. The dog licking is a 6 month puppy who is not neutered. The dog being licked was spayed two years ago.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

I am so sorry that your dogs are worrying you. There are two possibilities that come immediately to mind. The first would be the anal glands on the dog that is being licked need to be expressed. This is a common problem and your puppy may be sensing them, as they are scent glands used for marking territory. Your Vet can express the glands and that should slow or stop your puppy from this behavior, if it is anal glands.

The second issue is your dog may have a urinary tract infection brewing and the puppy may be sensing this and trying to help. Dogs have a very strong ability to smell things you or I would not even notice. That is why dogs are being trained for all types of scent work to include bomb sniffing, finding lost children and even sniffing for Cancer. I do suggest a Vet visit to rule out the anal gland issue and Urinary tract infection. Joan