Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

I think my dog eat some motor oil what should i do

Customer Question

I think my dog eat some motor oil what should i do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Andy :

When was the motor oil ingested?

Dr. Andy :

How much?

Dr. Andy :

When was the milk given?

Dr. Andy :

How much?

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

I think she licked some up in the garage about an hour ago

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

milk was just a little about 30 minutes ago

Dr. Andy :

Okay

Dr. Andy :

Well, as I am sure you are aware, the oil in larger quantities can be toxic. In smaller quantities, it can still cause some bad digestive upset (vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, refusal to eat).

Dr. Andy :

However, my additional concern is the milk. Milk can cause bad diarrhea, and it is not digestible by dogs. So, unfortunately, it could make things a bit worse.

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

her tongue is a little swollen and she was foaming alittle and thefoam was pink like it was mixed with small amounts of blood

Dr. Andy :

In that case, to cover the bases, it would be easy to just get into a vet for some good medication to help the digestive tract. That would be the smartest and safest move.

Dr. Andy :

Okay...with the new information, you must get into an ER vet. Period.

Dr. Andy :

She needs better treatment, and therapy to reduce the swelling present.

Dr. Andy :

I certainly can recommend antacids for the stomach, but she needs more than that. This is not a situation for a wait and see.

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

is there anything else I can do before we have to go?

Dr. Andy :

If there is anything I have not covered for you, please use the REPLY button, and I will happily continue to chat. I hope you have found my advice helpful or informative. Please remember to click the "ACCEPT" button (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIBING MEMBER). It is greatly appreciated

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

it's very bad out side

Dr. Andy :

To help settle the stomach you could try one of the following drugs.

Pepcid comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours.

Pepcid

.

Prilosec

.

Zantac

.

Pepto-Bismol (NOT TO BE USED IN CATS)

Dr. Andy :

Absolutely, NONE OF THE ABOVE is to be used to replace an immediate veterinary visit.

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

My wife said it's been about two hours now

Dr. Andy :

I must disclose that for liability reasons, due to the condition of your pet.

Dr. Andy :

Please remember to click "accept". I greatly appreciate it. Good Luck

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

and the foaming has stopped

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

wait an minute I am not done yet

Dr. Andy :

Go ahead

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

any way she has been acting better now that time has started to pass

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

she has stopped throwing up and she's not whining anymore

Dr. Andy :

All positives, but be very guarded.

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

she is breathing a little faster then i would like

Dr. Andy :

Pain and or nausea

Dr. Andy :

to explain the breathing

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

she didn't have but mayber a table spoon of milk

Dr. Andy :

That's nothing...no worry there

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

um she isn't acting like she's in pain

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

what about the benadil?

Dr. Andy :

Understood, but I still can vouch for the stability of her condition.

Dr. Andy :

Benadryl. No harm. Might not help, but no harm

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

the amount of oil she could have got is less the a table spoon

Dr. Andy :

It should not result in all the other symptoms you have described. Something else is wrong, whether caused by the motor oil or not.

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

it was a oil pan that drains it away from into a tank so it was just the little bit of fluid that was on the pan

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

she was out side in the blizzard with me for about 10 minutes

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

it's -10

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

she is a long haired dog

Dr. Andy :

Doesn't help the situation, but many pets can be briefly outdoors in that weather, and they would not exhibit these symptoms.

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

she eat her food 4 hours ago very fastly

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

about 2 cups in 3 minuts

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

and threw up about 10 peices

Dr. Andy :

Okay...you are making lots of guesses...
I need you to step back and think about the symptoms instead of all these guesses.

Dr. Andy :

vomiting, foaming, swollen tongue, bloody

Dr. Andy :

The guesses no longer matter. Getting treatment for the symptoms is all that counts.

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

ok she had thick foam that was light pink, her tounge is swollen and she won't let me any where near her mouth

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

she was moaning but not any more

Dr. Andy :

I am not sure what else you want me to answer.

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

well i wish you were not so quick to want me to leave or push the accept button.

Dr. Andy :

Please understand, I am not examining your pet. my advice is only to be used as guidance.

Dr. Andy :

I have lots of clients that really push me to give a definitive answer, 100% certainty there pet will be okay, etc....

Dr. Andy :

I just want to be clear I can't offer all of that.

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

I am okay with you telling me the truth

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

but I just want to be sure

Dr. Andy :

The truth is your pet is sick and needs better supportive care, and the best you can do is giving one of the antacids I suggested.

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

it's so bad out that I am putting my life at risk to drive her thrity mile north to the 24 hour vet

Dr. Andy :

Well, I am certainly not going to ask you to risk your life.

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

okay so antacids?

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

like tums?

Dr. Andy :

No. Only the ones I suggested.

Dr. Andy :

I gave you 4 choices.

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

pepcid ac work how much ?

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

20mg tablets

Dr. Andy :

Body weight?

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

35lbs

Dr. Andy :

A 1/2 tablet

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

benadril a proble with the pepcid?

Dr. Andy :

Nope. Actually, go ahead and give a full tablet.

Dr. Andy :

No problem with both drugs

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

okay anything else i should look out for?

Dr. Andy :

Difficult breathing, swelling of tongue not resolving, vomiting, abdominal pain, agitation

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

how often should I check her?

Dr. Andy :

Hourly

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

okay how long before I should be worried about the toungue not going down it's not getting worse just staying the same

Dr. Andy :

Few hours or if you observe any further swelling anywhere else in the face or neck

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

okay thanks for everything

Dr. Andy :

Yep. Good Luck!

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

maybe toungue has come down a little and the little blood coloring is starting to get better

Dr. Andy :

okay

JACUSTOMER-z3i8aqld- :

she seems to be breathing a little fast thoguh

Dr. Andy :

I have nothing left to offer

Dr. Andy :

That breathing could be pain or nausea related.

Dr. Andy :

I must now retire for the evening.

Dr. Andy :

Hello?

Dr. Andy :

I spent a 1/2 hour trying to help you. If you don't intend to click accept.....fine. At least say Thank you

Dr. Andy :

I must apologize to JustAnswer. I have no idea what else I could have offered this client for them to accept my answer. A 1/2 hour of my time was sacrificed.