Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

my dog is older and i know she is getting ready to die because

my dog is older and i know she is getting ready to die because she can no longer get up, she smells like she is decaing and her gums are very pale, her breathing is very shallow and raspy,everything she eats she vomits back up she does not drink much and has not had a bowl momvment in a week.i want her to be at home when she goes because she was abused and i rescued her.i want her to feel loved and be in peace when she dies.could you please tell me the dose of childrens tylenol i could give her to take the pain away and make the process quicker because she has been this way for 4 days.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

I am so sorry to hear about your girl. Tylenol will not Euthanize her without a lot of pain and suffering. You are best to have a Housecall Vet come to th hous to Euthanize her. I would be happy to try and locate a Vet that will come to your home and do th procedure for you so she passs painlessly and peacefully. Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i cant afford the vet at this time what could i give her that would be safe to ease the pain and not harm her and how would i give it to her cause she will no longer eat.about how much time do you think she has left she is very cold now even though she is covered with a blanket and her heartbeat is not regular.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

I cannot recommend anything to make it quicker, as it would be against the law and most medications cause more pain and suffering. I would just keep her comfortable unless you can get a Vet out there. The pale gums and the description you have given, sounds like she may not make it through the night. I am so sorry, as I understand how hard this is. You may be able to have someone from the Humane society come out and do the Euthanizing for you if you explain the circumstances. Joan

Edited by Joan on 1/29/2011 at 11:46 PM EST