Dr. Hinson
Dr. Hinson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  11+ years experience in the veterinary field. Experience with small, large and exotic species.
10679819

My dog has an bright red poop. What does this mean. She is

My dog has an bright red poop. What does this mean. She is 7 years old. She has an auto-immune diesase. She is on meds for that. I am very scared. Please let me know.
Jessica
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Hinson replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Hinson :

Hi I'm Dr. Hinson. You really need to get her to the vet. I am worried about the auto immune disease causing this problem. Sounds like she may be bleeding internally. Does she have hemolytic anemia?

Dr. Hinson :

Is she on any medications?

Dr. Hinson :

Is she acting OK?

Customer:

I dont think she has hermolytic anemia. What is that.

Customer:

She is on Pedinsone 5 mg 4 times a week and predinsone 0.5 3 times a week and cyclorsporin 25 mg once a day.

She

Customer:

She is acting ok but very tired.

Dr. Hinson :

Which auto immune disease does she have?

Dr. Hinson :

What breed of dog is she? How much does she weigh?

Dr. Hinson :

Are her stools formed or is it watery diarrhea?

Dr. Hinson :

How long has she been on the prednisone and cyclosporin?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1) I really dont know what auto-immune diease she has.

2) She is an chawaia/Terrier mix. She weighs 14lbs. She is over weight.

3) Her stool is like Diarrhea.

4) She has been on all her meds for like 3 years. But we are slowing down one Prednisone.

Could the meds me causing this. She doesn't eat anything red.

Potentially the prednisone could cause bleeding. Usually it's at higher doses than what she is on and if that was the case usually the stools are black. Red means blood so it must be coming from the lower gi tract (colon). It would be helpful to know what disease she has. It's hard for me to make recommendations without that information. I really think to be safe you should take her to your vet. Reddish diarrhea is not normal and really needs to be seen by your vet. If she just had diarrhea with no blood then I wouldn't be as worried.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She always had diarrhea but it has been yellow what does that mean.

You wanted to know if she had herolytic anemia. What is that.

The yellow color usually just means that the stool is going through the GI tract too fast. Can be caused by any number of things.

Hemolytic anemia is also called Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (IMHA) which is what most vets call it. It basically means the dog's body has all of a sudden decided that the red blood cells in the body are foreign so the immune system starts attacking them. Causes them to be anemic.

The are a few other reasons for having bloody diarrhea like hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, stress colitis, parasites, rat poison toxicity, auto immune problem with the body's platelets (clotting cells), etc.

So, as you can see, there can be many things that are causing this problem. That is why you need to get her to your vet to have an exam. This can be very serious. I know you are worried about her so I suggest you take her in as soon as you can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She has an apt in 2 weeks for her 6 month check-up, that I made like 1 month ago. They will do blood work. Could this be a sign of diabetes, because when she had her check-up 6 month ago. her sugar levels were sightly high.
I'm not sure she should wait 2 weeks to see the vet. Of course that is up to you. You know her best but if you are worried you should go with your instincts.

She could definitely have diabetes because she has been on prednisone for a long time. I have not really seen diabetes cause bloody diarrhea but I guess anything is possible.

Really, if she is still having that bloody diarrhea tomorrow you need to take her in. She is a small dog, even being overweight, and can get dehydrated very easily with diarrhea.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If she does have diabetes how expensive is the treatment in Ca. I am on low income.
I wouldn't know. I am in Florida. Every clinic makes their own prices. Sometimes if the diabetes is from medication like Prednisone it can be reversed by taking them off prednisone.
How is your dog today? Any more questions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been thinking could it be an bleeding ulcer.

Yes it definitely could. Can you get her to the vet sooner than 2 weeks?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Today her poop isnt red but its yellow. Somedays it is fine and somedays isn't. Should I still take her in or should I wait for 2 weeks

That will have to be a call you make. You know her best. If she seems to be acting otherwise normal then you may be OK waiting. That is up to you. Again, since I can't examine her I can't make that call. I don't want to tell you to wait and then something serious happens.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do I explain this to my vet. Can you give me some hints.
You just need to tell her/him everything you told me. They have her records and know what medications she has been on, etc. Tell them her poop has been red and yellow diarrhea.

I would just strongly recommend they run some blood tests on her. They need to check her for diabetes and definitely make sure she isn't anemic from the bleeding.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I will do that and do you want me to let you know what happeneds. She has an apt on Feb 9. If she is worse i will make an apt sooner. I will just keep an eye on her.
Yes. I would love to know how she does!

Sounds like a plan!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will let you know what happeneds. Just look forward me talking to you on feb 9 or sooner.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Dr.Hinson

I would like you to know that torromow I take my dog to the vet. Her poop hasnt been bright red senice that one time. But I will tell the vet about it. Also I will have them run blood work on her. I will let you know what happends torromow.

OK. Please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello

I took her to the vet yesterday. They are doing some blood work. The test that they did was an Total Body Function. So I am just waiting for the results today. Once I get the results I will tell you. They dont know why she had red poop.

I have also notice that she is drinking more water and peeing alot. What could this be. She gets up at night and drink water couple times a night. She also has accidents in the house at night. She is very lethergy. Is this one of signs of Diabetes.

Thanks

Yes, all those signs could point to diabetes. She could also have Cushing's disease or a low thyroid level or many other things. The blood work is a good starting point.

Let me know what the blood work results are.

If the red poop hasn't persisted then I guess I wouldn't worry about it for now.

Dr. Hinson
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will let you know when tell call me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello I still havent heard anything from them. Maybe I will hear somthing from them today. I just wanted to let you know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I Just heard from my vet. They said there is fat in her blood. What does this mean. Also she had an fever of 104 for the last week. We might have to change the meds. Should I be worried about it.
It just means she has high triglycerides/cholesterol. If she is overweight she needs to lose weight. It really doesn't mean much.

If she has had a fever I think you should maybe see another vet. It doesn't sound like your vet is giving you the information you need. They should be giving you all this information.

A fever can be a sign of almost anything so that's doesn't help me pinpoint anything. I really think you need a second opinion.

I can't keep this question open much longer. If you have another specific question please ask but otherwise I would appreciate you accepting this answer so I can get credit for the question.

Thanks.
Dr. Hinson, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 11+ years experience in the veterinary field. Experience with small, large and exotic species.