ERAnimalNurse
ERAnimalNurse, Emergency Critical Care Nurse
Experience:  16+ years of veterinary experience
7788723

My dog ate my Nuvaring. (Birth control) I induced vomitting

Customer Question

My dog ate my Nuvaring. (Birth control) I induced vomitting but it didn't come up. He is about 60 pounds. Do you think it will pass?
Category: Dog
Expert:  ERAnimalNurse replied 5 years ago.

I am sorry your dog ate your nuvaring. He may be able to pass it without any problems, but I am concerned about a reaction to the ring and any medicine it may contain. I think it would be best if you called the SPCA's animal poison control hotline to determine if you need to seek veterinary care or not. See the following website for the phone number.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/

Time is always of the essence in these situations, and the longer it takes to seek veterinary care, the more difficult and expensive it can be to manage the problem. The ring might pass with no problems, but why wait until it gets stuck? Why take that chance that will require emergency surgery? If there has not been too much time since the ring was ingested, the vets might be able to pull it out with an endoscope, which is less expensive and far less invasive than surgery. I really think you should call the hotline or head straight to an emergency vet, right away. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. If this has been helpful, please hit the green accept button. Best of luck with your handsome man, I hope he does well :)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
An emerg hotline suggested the vomitting and told me if it didn't come up that i'd just have to watch him until it passed... or not. I am just looking for a second opinion about wether or not it will pass?
I really feel that he needs to be seen, unless you are willing to risk the ring getting stuck. Surgery to remove an intestinal obstruction is not cheap. As I stated above, it might pass, and it might not.....everyone you ask might give you a different opinion, but those opinions won't matter if they are incorrect. It's like someone telling you there is a one in 100 chance it won't pass, then having it not pass. The odds and opinions no longer matter when your dog is the small percentage. If you want better accuracy he will need to be x-rayed and even then you will still be taking a risk. This is why I suggested an endoscope procedure might be the way to go. The scope can only reach so far, and the body naturally moves objects through the G.I. tract. My fear is that the ring will become lodged in a spot where the scope cannot get to, and that surgery might be needed :(
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help