Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

How much xylitol would be left in a piece of Nicorette 2mg

How much xylitol would be left in a piece of Nicorette 2mg gum after it was chewed by a human. My dog MAY have gotten a wad of 'already chewed by a human' Nicorette in the garbage. This was a bit over an hour ago now; no vomiting or symptoms. He is diabetic and I had just given him his nightly insulin shot and treat about 10 min prior to this happening. He is a little tired, but it''s bedtime anyway. Shall I be concerned??? Thanks so much! Oh, by the way, he's 22 lbs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Thank You for contacting JustAnswer

I am sorry your boy may have eaten the gum.

Xylitol causes a dangerous drop in the blood sugar, considering he had insulin right before eating this makes me very concerned that the sleepiness is due to a drop in the blood sugar.

1-2 pieces of gum containing Xylitol can cause hypoglycemia in a 20 lb dog.

There is no way of knowing how much xylitol was left in the gum and diabetes further complicates the problem.

I would suggest having him seen immediately at your local animal emergency. They can test the blood sugar and monitor him tonight.I really would not take the chance if there is any possibility he got the gum.

I hope he does ok,please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Candy -- he seems to have just taken a little snooze (5 min or so) and then he was back up watching tv like normal and just laid down again now. I don't think he's overly sleepy - just normal. We do not live near a 24 hr vet ER. Closest is 2 hrs away. Being it was already chewed fairly thoroughly, do you think I can just monitor at home? If blood sugar drops too far I could give corn syrup?
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

You can monitor him at home, if you notice any signs of low blood sugar give the syrup(1/4 teaspoon) and get him in right away. If he does ok tonight I would suggest following up with your vet as soon as they open in the morning.

I would make sure someone checks on him through the night.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I had forgotten to mention that I had called that 24 hr University vet center and they were no help -- they said to call poison control, which I did, only to get a recording that it cost $35!!!

Is there anything else I should watch for? Being it should be just a small amount of the xylitol being already partially chewed out?

I'll keep him right with me for the night. He's a tad spoled anyway! hee hee

Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

Mine are spoiled too, I share the bed with 3 dogs and two cats .

Some of the first signs you may see if the glucose is dropping is shaking or extreme lethargy(not picking up his head not wanting to walk) If you see either of these symptoms this would warrant a vet visit.

Here is a more detailed list of possible symptoms

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We did cataract surgery almost 2 years ago. Originally both eyes successful, but a few days later, one had a spike and he got glaucoma in that one and can only see shadows, but the other eye is perfect again. Very pricey procedure! Still gets 4 different dosages of eye drops daily plus his 2 insulin and an ointment. He's a lot of work, but our baby. Usually very good but hehas his moments like tonight!

I'll watch him close and try not to be a overworried mom. Bye the way -- he likes to have lullabies sung to him and rocked when he's scared or sick! What a character!

Thanks for the help. Belly rubs to your 4 legged bed friends!

Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

He does sound like a character, He is also very lucky to have such a great mom that has gone the extra mile for him.

You are very welcome and tell him no gum until he learns how to blow bubbles.

Best Wishes

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can I get back in to view our messages tomorrow if I need or do they go away?
Expert:  Candy replied 5 years ago.

You can come back to this thread at any time for follow up . This never closes for you